Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Questions about primers, powder, and bullets? >

Questions about primers, powder, and bullets?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Questions about primers, powder, and bullets?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Questions about primers, powder, and bullets?

So I'm planning to buy a RCBS reloading kit. However, I also was planning on swinging by a store today that's known for great prices and usually has a pretty good selection of reloading stuff. I was going to check and see if they had the RCBS kit or dies I wanted before I ordered them. The problem is this store is about an hour away and I don't want to make a ton of trips there. So I thought while I was there maybe I should go ahead and get some primers, powder, and maybe even a few bullets if they had them.

This brought me to my question. I'm hoping to re load for a 9mm Luger, 243 Winchester, and a 30-06 Springfield. Which primers do I need for the 9mm and which ones for the 243 and 30-06? Or do the 243 and 30-06 take different ones? I see large and small rifle and pistol primers but how do I know which ones to get?

My next question is on the powder. Are there any recommendations on what kind of powder I should try for each of those calibers? I don't have a re loading manual yet as that will come in the kit so I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations?

Then my last question is about the bullets. I often see them labeled as 30 caliber or 6mm. Are these what I'd want for the 243 and the 30-06? Or do I get ones specifically that say for 30-06 or 243? Just wondering how I tell which bullets I need?

Thanks guys. Sorry for all the dumb questions about this lately.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

.243 and 30-06 Powder: IMR4350 will work for both rifles.

9mm Pistol Powder; Bullseye or BlueDot will work fine.

Large Rifle Primers and Small Pistol primers is what you will need. And yes the 243 and -06 use the same primer,

There is no need for any Magnum primers, until you start using slow burning powders. Your load manuals will suggest/say when and if you need them. The powders above do not need magnum primers.

6mm bullets are the same as .243 bullets. Rem 100g bullets work well for deer, and won't brake the bank

.308 are the same as 30-06. 150-165g bullets work well for deer.

9mm bullets are .355 to .356, I like the 124-125g bullets.

Please read this link carefully and make a good list of stuff ya want, then CALL ahead to your store's and see if they have what ya need

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/relo...ead-first.html

And don't forget the Shell Holders...( I did'nt see them on the above list)

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 01-03-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:54 AM
bigcountry

If you can find primers, good luck. Getting difficult to find. Might be difficult to find the brand you want. You might have to settle.

But for 9mm, you want small pistol primers. I like CCI, win, Rem, because they are harder than federals. I load pistol on a progressive, and you don't want a soft primer.

For the 243 and 30-06, you want large rifle primers. I like fed 210's.

Powder. Its hard to beat HS-6 for 9mm, 40's, 45's. I like IMR4350 for 270's 30-06, etc. I like IMR4064, or varget for 243's. But I have found great loads with IMR4350 for both 243's, 7mm-08, 270win and 30-06.s

Bullets, your generally correct. 7mm's are 284's, .308 are for 06's, 308win, etc. The ones you have to be careful of is 45-70's and 45colts. 45-70's use .458". Another is 303 brit, which uses .311". Another is 357sig, which uses a 9mm bullet, but 38specials use .357"-.358". Where a 9mm uses .355-.356".

Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

First thing you need to do is buy some manuals and read them very carefully for the calibers you want to load for.
I like the Lyman #49 and Speer #14 manuals.
In these books they will give you all the technical data needed for loading (ie: case sizes, OAL, primer info, load data)

Keep in mind that you will need to trim your cases for .243 and 30-06.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pnut
First thing you need to do is buy some manuals and read them very carefully for the calibers you want to load for.
I like the Lyman #49 and Speer #14 manuals.
In these books they will give you all the technical data needed for loading (ie: case sizes, OAL, primer info, load data)

Keep in mind that you will need to trim your cases for .243 and 30-06.
x's 2.

I would not get the specific information you are asking from any forum if you don't have a way to doulbe check the answers. The 2 posters above have correct answers and obviously know what they are talking about but anyone could have a typo or you could have had some idiot answer your post and give you bad info..

Run to the store and purchase a reloading booking 1st, use that data and ask questions from there. Most of the powder companies have all the info you need on there website's also.

One typo or one fool giving you bad info in a post could be VERY bad.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Glad that someone wrote that about getting a manual.
Reloading ammo, while very safe if properly done, is definitely a case of "read the instructions first".
Also good was the comment about using advice from the Internet. Be very careful. If some one mistypes a load recipe and you use it without checking, you may have unexpected and unpleasant results.
Also, there is more than one person on the many shooting forums who will take risks as a matter of course and because they haven't blown up their gun yet think that it's OK to pass on the risky procedure as safe (one guy on another forum comes to mind. He was adamant about how using smokeless powders in a muzzleloader - not the new Savage - was perfectly safe. He'd been doing it for....).
Pete