Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Is it worth it to reload for semi auto's? >

Is it worth it to reload for semi auto's?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Is it worth it to reload for semi auto's?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it worth it to reload for semi auto's?

So I keep hearing people say it's a pain to reload for semi auto's and then others say they started reloading and quit using semi's and started using bolt actions. Then others have told me it's no big deal.

So anyway, I like semi auto's and don't really like bolt actions. I'm wondering if it's still worthwhile to reload or should I just use factory ammo that works? I don't want a ton of jams.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hand loading for a semi is no different than loading for a bolt gun. When the manual makes a suggestion for powder selection on semi's pay attention to it.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
Hand loading for a semi is no different than loading for a bolt gun. When the manual makes a suggestion for powder selection on semi's pay attention to it.
Actually most people load a bit differently for them. Neck sizing is very popular for bolt guns, but you must full length size for semi autos. For some guns a small base die is also required.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
Actually most people load a bit differently for them. Neck sizing is very popular for bolt guns, but you must full length size for semi autos. For some guns a small base die is also required.
The only thing different is that the manuals tell you to full length size your cases. Small base dies are not necessary. Powder selection of course is up to you but can play a role in how reliably a handload will operate the action. The prinicples remain the same.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Spike

Default No problem

I have loaded hundreds of cases for my Browning BAR .30-06 by full length sizing the brass with no problems at all. The only thing is that you may not want to load maximum loads that may tend to work the action too fast. I just drop back 2 or 3 grains from maximum and have no problems at all.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Spike

Never had a problem with handloads in my Rem7400 (30-06) i do full length resize the cases.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

As stated, loading is no different for semis as for other actions. EXCEPT - as also stated, you MAY need a small based sizing die. Try some of your loads in your semi with your standard sizing die. If they function well fine. If not then go to the small based die. This is simply a sizing die that is machined down to the minimum specification dimensions of the cartridge case allowing for chambering in all rifes chambered for that cartridge.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chester Co. Deer Hunter
I have loaded hundreds of cases for my Browning BAR .30-06 by full length sizing the brass with no problems at all. The only thing is that you may not want to load maximum loads that may tend to work the action too fast. I just drop back 2 or 3 grains from maximum and have no problems at all.
Since that is exactly what I'm loading for and mine seemed picky on types of ammo it would shoot accurately which combo did you use for yours? Like what bullet, powder, seating depth and how much powder did you use? What kind of groups did you get?