Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Moly coating

Old 12-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by srwshooter
yep i tumble all of my bullet clean,moly is something the average shooter doesn't need.
i dont mean to steal a thread but ive never heard of tumbling bullets. are there any advantages or dis advantages? is it just something you did to clean up a few bullets you picked up with moly?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guy's,Did not know that you could tumble the moly coat off.Looks like I will have alot of extra projectiles.Lot of flat base stuff in the mix.Usually more fond of boattails.Now on to weighing and measuring them 'cause they are just dumped into tupperware containers.While they are marked for brand and weight .I ain't taking any chances .Got to know what I will be fooling with for my own piece of mind. Looks like a lot of fairly old ones in the mix.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Moly = Modern day Snake Oil.

Last edited by Wolf killer; 12-28-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/s...s/moly_faq.htm
Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Exclamation

I refuse to shoot moly coated bullets in my rifles. I've heard far too many horror stories of how hard it is to remove the moly from the bores.

Also, I don't see ANY advantage to using moly in a hunting rifle because moly is said to attrack moisture, which is very bad for a bore!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

DIXIE..don't believe everything you hear...the moly is supposed to stay in your barrel, that what fills in the little cracks and lines, that's the idea..yes, you can scrub forever and it's still a little black but that's the idea.... it's a filler and it goes between your barrel and the copper jacket.. I'll gladly look at dirty patches and have no copper in the barrel...