Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
223 reloading question. >

223 reloading question.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

223 reloading question.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default 223 reloading question.

Gentleman I have a question about reloading a AR15 in 223 cal. I have almost 500 rounds of used military brass which I shot off about 10 years ago, this ammo has only been fired once but it has a military crimp on the primers, and when ran it through my RCBS reloader to full size the brass it still has not removed all the primer. There is a ring of the primer still in the primer pocket still inside of the brass, I talked with one expert about this and he said that this ring had to be removed he gave me some advice about how to get rid of this so I can start priming the brass. He said that RCBS makes a swage(spelling) or he said a standard pocket primer cleaner will work.What do you guys think?
One other question for you, this is a Bushmaster AR 15, should I crimp the bullets? I have experience loading 30 and 243 cal, but zero with this cal. Any advice would be very helpfull.Thx for any help. sauer06
Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Spike

What you have is the crimp that is built into the head of the case around the primer pocket its not part of the primer it will need to be removed, once you do it for that lot of 500 you wont need to do them again. This is what I use and works in your press it will come with a large rifle and small rifle swage you would use the small rifle swage for your 223 . > http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct..._campaign=9315
you can get a reamer to use also some like this better you will have to see what you like
And yes being the AR15 I would plan on crimping the case around the bullet , I have the Lee factory crimp die so far I like it.

Last edited by Lonehunter61; 12-22-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

Thx for all the replies gentleman.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do crimp mine lightly and when I have mil. surplus brass the neck reamer tool does great for removing the primer crimp.May want to look at RCBS trim die to keep things trimmed to length,makes c.o.a.l easier.