Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Remington 45-70 405 gr >

Remington 45-70 405 gr

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Remington 45-70 405 gr

Old 12-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 45-70 405 gr

Hello all.
Are the factory Remington rounds double crimped? It looks like they're crimped at the edge of the case then again at the bottom of the bullet. I bought some Remington brass and 405's for reloading. I noticed that their brass doesn't have this extra crimp. Is there a special die to do this? Is it required to have this second crimp?

Thanks,

HA
Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I beilieve what you are seeing is just the slight expansion of the case due to the bullet's snug fit. There is only a need for one roll crimp at the mouth of the case and this is only needed for a lever action or other repeater. The crimp would not be needed for single shots.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I beilieve what you are seeing is just the slight expansion of the case due to the bullet's snug fit. There is only a need for one roll crimp at the mouth of the case and this is only needed for a lever action or other repeater. The crimp would not be needed for single shots.

Bronko's right. I have had Remington factory ammo for the 45/70 and have never seen a second crimp. Any crimp below the bullet would serve no purpose. I also handload for that cartridge, and I too feel what you are seeing is the seated bullet slightly bulging the casing, which is perfectly normal. The only crimp that is necessary is the one into the bullet canellure if loading for rifles other than single shots, like bronko mentioned. Even then, I don't get carried away with too much crimp.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 PM
bigcountry

I think what he is talking about is, if you look on the case of a R-P 45-70 you see marking where the bottom of the bullet is on the outside of the case. I can assure you it isn't a crimp, but not sure why remington has it either.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Spike

Thumbs up 45-70

The 405 Rem pretty good bullet but kicks alot........like the 350gr Hornady alot better........for crimp the Lee Factory crimp die works excellent with Reloader 7.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I think what he is talking about is, if you look on the case of a R-P 45-70 you see marking where the bottom of the bullet is on the outside of the case. I can assure you it isn't a crimp, but not sure why remington has it either.
After reading bigcountry's reply, it made me go to my loading room and look. Sure enough, there IS some sort of roll line on a FACTORY loaded shell at the base of the bullet. Why, I don't know. What prompted my reply was the fact that bulk R-P brass that I buy for reloading does NOT have that line on them, and that is what I'm most used to seeing and working with. I stand corrected to the original post. I do stand on my ground that the factory shell line serves no practical purpose I can see, however.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

For some reason, Remington did put a crimp at the base of the bullet. Only thing I can make of it is to prevent the bullet from seating deeper during recoil.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

I had read an article on this awhile back. Seems on truly big bores, they crimp below the bullet too. The article said somthing to the effect that sometimes crimps are purely decorative, or perhaps they serve a purposed that has since been shown to be unnecessary.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thing I don't get though is that the R&P 45-70 ammo is loaded to the black powder pressures to be safe in the trapdoor and springfield's.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
After reading bigcountry's reply, it made me go to my loading room and look. Sure enough, there IS some sort of roll line on a FACTORY loaded shell at the base of the bullet. Why, I don't know. What prompted my reply was the fact that bulk R-P brass that I buy for reloading does NOT have that line on them, and that is what I'm most used to seeing and working with. I stand corrected to the original post. I do stand on my ground that the factory shell line serves no practical purpose I can see, however.
That is what I noticed as well and what prompted the question. I'm new to reloading and I don't want things to go boom instead of bang.
So I should be ok not worrying about it and just put a regular crimp using my Lee Factory Crimper.

Thanks for the replies.

HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.