Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Caliber and reloading question >

Caliber and reloading question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Caliber and reloading question

Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Spike

Default Caliber and reloading question

I currently shoot a 7mm rem ultra mag and was looking to purchase a 300 rem ultra mag and a 308 because so many people told me that there are more options for the 30 cal. when reloading. So my choice would be to stick with my 7mm rem ultra mag and purchase a 7mm 08 so I can reload both or go to the 30 cal.....what do you guys suggest and do any of you or have any of you used both calibers so I can hear the good, bad and ugly.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tough call. I'm a fan of both 7mm and 30 cals! There are plenty of bullet choices available for both, but I guess the 30 cal wins. 7mm bullets are considered slightly superior [for aerodynamics in heavier bullets]. I'd probably just pick up the 7mm-08, as you're already set up 7mm style.

I haven't shot the ultra mags...the 08s, though--both are nice, low recoil, accurate and handy little rifles.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

There is truth to the fact that there are more options available in 308 than 7mm
Because you already have a 7mm Ultra Mag, I would get the 7mm-08 and be very happy.

However buying 2 rifles of the same caliber, either 7mm or 308, just to simplify your component shopping doesn't make any sence to me.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Spike

Popeye,

I was going to buy the 308 or the 7mm08 for my kid and wife.

The 7mm ultra is mine....just had been considering the 300 ultra but just looking to see if someone has shot them both to tell me if they see a difference.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the intended use? If elk or larger I lean to 30cal, if deer it hardly matters and 7mm probably gets the nod.

Sure, there are more 30cal bullets out there but the real question are a) what do you intend to do with it, and b) is there a 7mm bullet that fulfills these needs?

While there are oodles of 30cal bullets out there, I only use 3 of them in my 300WM and ONE of them in my 30-06. As long as you have choices that meet your needs, why try for 2 new guns when all you need is the 7mm-08 and you're good to go..
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Going with a 7-08 just because you already shoot a 7mm caliber rifle really may or may not make sense. You probably wont be shooting the same weight of bullets anyways, and switching to a .308 caliber of rifle will only set you back dies and different bullets, which you would probably have to buy anyways since your ultra mag is probably going to be using heavier bullets than the 7-08 anyhow. If you are buying a gun for your wife, I would have her hold and feel a few guns in either caliber and make your decision from there as to which one to get.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

"You said you currently shoot" those calibers but as stated what are your intentions? I have a 300 ultra mag and before I shot it had a muzzle brake put on it , I have shot Antelope and deer with it reloading most of my amo. It is truly quite a gun,I also own a 7 mm mag and do hunt deer and antelope with it, as stated what are your intentions,?they are all fun to reload for as the choices for bullets are many. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by chemist
Popeye,

I was going to buy the 308 or the 7mm08 for my kid and wife.

The 7mm ultra is mine....just had been considering the 300 ultra but just looking to see if someone has shot them both to tell me if they see a difference.
I understand what you're doing now.
I would still get the 7mm-08, I don't have anything against a 308 but I would think a 7mm-08 is probably a better option for you.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by popeye2
I understand what you're doing now.
I would still get the 7mm-08, I don't have anything against a 308 but I would think a 7mm-08 is probably a better option for you.
Not to mention you can probably load the same bullet for the 7mm08 that your shooting in your ultra mag.