Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Ballistic tip Bandwagon >

Ballistic tip Bandwagon

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Ballistic tip Bandwagon

Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Ballistic tip Bandwagon

I know this has already been thrown around.I am pretty sure all of us (or at least most of us) jumped on the ballistic tip bandwagon when they first came out.Just wondering if anybody else has came back to their senses........LOL. Now don't get me wrong.I still think they are very good projectiles,Even though the first ones were pretty dang tender.I still shoot the 140s in my 7 stw but for just about everything else I have went back to the good old hornady boat tail spire points.What I just about always used before the great and mighty BT.With the occasional Game king thrown in.I believe back then they were called the interlock now interbond.Always had good accuracy and terminal performance.Still do.Just curious about how you guy's feel?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Swampdog
I know this has already been thrown around.I am pretty sure all of us (or at least most of us) jumped on the ballistic tip bandwagon when they first came out.Just wondering if anybody else has came back to their senses........LOL. Now don't get me wrong.I still think they are very good projectiles,Even though the first ones were pretty dang tender.I still shoot the 140s in my 7 stw but for just about everything else I have went back to the good old hornady boat tail spire points.What I just about always used before the great and mighty BT.With the occasional Game king thrown in.I believe back then they were called the interlock now interbond.Always had good accuracy and terminal performance.Still do.Just curious about how you guy's feel?

When I first used them over a decade ago, I agree, but now, they are tough as most. I use 180gr BT in a 300win mag pushing 3100fps, and do not hesitate to take a shot.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Just nitpicking, but the interbond is not the same bullet as the interlock.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Ballistic Tips shoot real nice out of both of my 6.5 Swedes. I have not taken game with them, but I can only imagine that they would be very deadly to deer sized game at just about any distance that the ole Swede can reach out to.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said I have used them for years and have seen some mighty bad damage caused by them.Just don't really see the need anymore.A regular 7 mm Hornady is going to put a hole the size of a golf ball through a deers backbone just as well as the BT at half the price .That's really when I switched They came out with the " New and Improved BTs " paid more and got half of the amount of bullets.Didn't see any difference.

R.P. Can't find the interlock around here any more (Without the cannalure)
Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

when they first came out I jumped on but jumped off just as quickly the newer BT's work so ive since jumped back on the wagon.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've loaded the NBT 165gr for my 06 and the 150gr for my 7mag since they came out. Never had a bit of problem at all with them. They are a lot pricer now compared to some other bullets, but I reckon i will stick with them.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

This is just the way I see it, nothing else!

I guess it would all depend on what you intend to use them for. They were really designed for long range and help control expansion. If you normally shoot less than 100 yards than they would be a waste of money. If you hunt where you have over 100 yards to contend with on a regular basis than they may be of some value. The tip is there because of two reasons. As the bullet declines in energy the further it has to travel it requires a larger hollow point to initiate expansion. With a larger hollow point the bullet would have to much drag working against it so for aerodynamics reasons the tip fills the hole and is designed to disintegrate on impact at the hyde of your intended game and help initiate expansion.

Now if you look at a Berger VLD match bullet that has no tip, that bullet was originally design to punch paper only but as more shooters started using them for hunting, which Berger recommended at first that they not to be used for, the word got back to Berger that their bullet worked very well in the field. Now you have your VLD hunting match bullet, which is the very same bullet just labeled differently and is much like the Sierra Game king in design. They just so happen to find that happy medium that works without the need for a tip.

Bottom line is all these "Ballistic tip" bullets were designed for long range and are not necessary if used at ranges under 100 yards. That’s not to say a round nose bullet cannot have good accuracy and terminal performance at a range over 100 yards but I wouldn't use one for anything over 200 yards. Not even your regular hollow pointed bullet. Not when there are bullets out there designed to work better. Not only that but if you were trying to work up a load for a new rifle and were not a fan of the BT that would leave you with not very many options in bullets to try and you may never really know your rifles full potential. To me accuracy and hydraulic shock kills and the two together is a very deadly combination.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
This is just the way I see it, nothing else!

I guess it would all depend on what you intend to use them for. They were really designed for long range and help control expansion. If you normally shoot less than 100 yards than they would be a waste of money. If you hunt where you have over 100 yards to contend with on a regular basis than they may be of some value. The tip is there because of two reasons. As the bullet declines in energy the further it has to travel it requires a larger hollow point to initiate expansion. With a larger hollow point the bullet would have to much drag working against it so for aerodynamics reasons the tip fills the hole and is designed to disintegrate on impact at the hyde of your intended game and help initiate expansion.

Now if you look at a Berger VLD match bullet that has no tip, that bullet was originally design to punch paper only but as more shooters started using them for hunting, which Berger recommended at first that they not to be used for, the word got back to Berger that their bullet worked very well in the field. Now you have your VLD hunting match bullet, which is the very same bullet just labeled differently and is much like the Sierra Game king in design. They just so happen to find that happy medium that works without the need for a tip.

Bottom line is all these "Ballistic tip" bullets were designed for long range and are not necessary if used at ranges under 100 yards. That’s not to say a round nose bullet cannot have good accuracy and terminal performance at a range over 100 yards but I wouldn't use one for anything over 200 yards. Not even your regular hollow pointed bullet. Not when there are bullets out there designed to work better. Not only that but if you were trying to work up a load for a new rifle and were not a fan of the BT that would leave you with not very many options in bullets to try and you may never really know your rifles full potential. To me accuracy and hydraulic shock kills and the two together is a very deadly combination.

you are absolutley right! I lived in missouri when I first tried them. my longest shot ever in missouri was a buck 65. when I decided to go back to them I was now living in Arizona. an average shot here can be asfar as 250 yards. I went back to the BT's because they do better with longer range shots.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.