Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
IMR 4350 powder question >

IMR 4350 powder question

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

IMR 4350 powder question

Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default IMR 4350 powder question

Hello, I worked up a load for my rifle this last summer that I am very happy with. Now I am a little concerned, I just read an article that said that IMR 4350 is tempeture sensitive is this true. will my accuracy change as the tempeture gets colder. my loads I worked up were tested in 70 degree weather. Is that going to change when the the tempeture gets down around 20 degrees ?
Thanks, Steve
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by steviebiggun
Hello, I worked up a load for my rifle this last summer that I am very happy with. Now I am a little concerned, I just read an article that said that IMR 4350 is tempeture sensitive is this true. will my accuracy change as the tempeture gets colder. my loads I worked up were tested in 70 degree weather. Is that going to change when the the tempeture gets down around 20 degrees ?
Thanks, Steve

You need not worry! 4350 is great powder, and the cold weather will effect your barrel more than your load

if you are sited in for 200yards or less you will be fine. You will still be Minute-of-Deer
Old 10-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

I use 4350 from 100 deg to -35 and have had no problems......course, I have several 8lb kegs. Went to it when I couldn't find 4831....both are IMR.
Dan
Old 10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

+3

Most of my hunting loads are IMR 4350. I buy it by the keg and stoke just about everything in the gun safe with it, save handguns and .223. It's probably my MOST favorite propellant.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:54 PM
bigcountry

All powders are temperature sensitive. All primers are temperature sensitive. Some more than others. You can count on losing around 30-100fps when going from 80F to 0F with some powders. The extreme powders are a little better. I find RL22 to be one of the more sensitive, but I still use it. Ball powder is probably the most sensitive.

With reloading you have a controlled explosion. An explosion that creates controlled pressure. With any explosion, higher the temperture, more pressure. Don't matter what powder you use.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMR 4350 is one of the most temperature insensitive powders that they make. Hodgdon would group it in with their extreme powders, it is very similar to H4350. The only way to know for sure is to test that load when the temperatures drop. That's why are try to stick to load development for my hunting rifles in the spring and fall and the varmint rigs in the summer.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

I read an article about a year ago that quantified the velocity variation of various powders at various temperatures and it indicated that the extreme powders were virtually identical to other stick powders in temperature sensitivity.
It also indicated primers as well as powders effected the sensitivity.

I tried to find it to post but I did not bookmark it