Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.17 Javelina

Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default .17 Javelina

I am looking for any info and/or load data for a .17 Javelina. Mostly need to know which powders and starting load data.

Thanks, Rick
Old 10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bandhunter
I am looking for any info and/or load data for a .17 Javelina. Mostly need to know which powders and starting load data.

Thanks, Rick

Some Info:

.17 Javelina

The .17 Javelina is based on the .222 case and has a case capacity between the Mach IV and the .17 Remington. The Javelina has never gained the popularity of the Mach IV or most of the other .17s due to the case forming expense and difficulty. The forming dies for this caliber are expensive. The Javelina case is formed by pushing the shoulder back about 0.150". This is normally done with a forming die set, made by RCBS, Redding, etc. It could also be roughly done with a 221FB full-length die, set higher in the press
than normal. Necking down to 17cal. is then done with subsequent dies. There is significant case trimming that must take place following the forming. I hope to own a Javelina some day and look forward to the challenge of case forming (not the expensive dies though). Kevin Gullette (technical staffer for SCN) is a big fan of this cartridge and has provided the case forming information for the Javelina.

IMO, I would sell that gun and gear, then get a 17 Rem. No case forming, and faster than the out-dated Javelina.

Or

Work with it and use some IMR4320
Old 10-16-2009, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

No one has any loading data for this cartridge.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Nice find Ridge Runner!

I consider myself PC savvy...and could not find A thing for load data
Old 10-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info. I had myself already found all that was posted on the internet. I was hoping maybe someone had used H4895 or maybe H380 and could give me a starting point. I guess I will have to buy Kindler's "Sensational Seventeens" to get the info I need.

Thanks anyway, Rick
Old 10-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Try www.saubier.com. A few guys over there have that caliber. Someone over there can put you to a load.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by beagleman28
Try www.saubier.com. A few guys over there have that caliber. Someone over there can put you to a load.
Yeah I sent them an email, but got no response.

Thanks, Rick