Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cartridge

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cartridge

Hey folks, while I do not reload I really need some information on hunting cartridges. I hope that you all don't mind me asking the question here. My son and I are going on a hunt next month in Texas and thought that we had everything covered but after speaking with our outfitter he highly recommended a "better quality" bullet than what we normally shoot. I live in NC where our shots are normally at 100-150 yards or so and our average deer weight is around 130-160 pounds. I will be shooting a Remington 700 BDL in .270 and like to shoot Hornady SST in 130 grn. My son will be shooting a Browning BAR in .308 and we normaly shoot the SST in 150 grain.

The outfitter has explained that the minimum shot for us will be around 150 yards with most shots being further (as long as we are confident in our shooting ability). For my 270, he recommended a little heavier bullet and suggested the Winchester Triple X "or something comparable" for both guns. He informed us that the mature bucks that we will be hunting weigh in at 200 pounds or better. I would really appreciate any information on what cartridge I should order. I think that I saw the Triple X bullet in the Federal Vital Shock? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, a link to such "preloaded" cartridges would be a blessing.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think your outfitter is splitting hairs...Your rifle/bullet combo will cleanly kill any whitetail that ever walked in Texas, or anywhere else , for that matter...

I'd use the loads that you are confident with, and not complicate things by changing stuff...Shoot 'em in a vital spot and they won't travel any further than your NC deer do...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pygmy
I think your outfitter is splitting hairs...Your rifle/bullet combo will cleanly kill any whitetail that ever walked in Texas, or anywhere else , for that matter...

I'd use the loads that you are confident with, and not complicate things by changing stuff...Shoot 'em in a vital spot and they won't travel any further than your NC deer do...
What Pygmy Said +1
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
bigcountry

I am not an SST fan myself. But that said, I think the outfitter is full of it. I have seen 130gr SSTs take down caribou.

I myself would use a 140gr Accubond or even 150gr bullistic tip. Triple shocks are good too. But I consider more of a big game bullet.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think he's full of it . Standard bullets work great! I keep loading costs down and get all the performance I need to the farthest distances I would consider shooting-- out of bullets like core-lokts!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

130 grain out of a 270 will flatten any deer that walks. I have used 130 grainers on elk, and they haven't run anywhere. They fall down.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

I get great accuracy using core-lokts out of both guns though the remington 700 really likes the SSTs. I appreciate all of your responses but I don't think that the outfitter is "full or it" I just think that he was just voicing his opinion and me, not knowing any better came to you all for your opinions. In fact, my son normally shoots a .243 but the outfitter "preferred" that he hunt with something bigger if he could handle the recoil. He has been shooting the .308 every weekend and is very comfortable at shots out to 250 yards. Look, I'm handicapped and this will probably be the only opportunity that I will ever have at harvesting a trophy buck and I want to make the most out of it. I'm going with what I have been shooting versus changing everything for the hunt. The way that I look at it is if I put the bullet where it belongs, I will get my deer.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hornady SST's are the same bullet as their BTSP, but with a plastic tip, and are perfect for your application. The SST's will kill any deer that walks this continent. Even the 350 pound Canadian deer. Those Texas deer are the same size as our Florida deer I hunt and regular ole bullets are built specifically for deer sized animals.

I use regular 130 grain soft points for deer out of my .270 and only step up to a premium bullet when I take it elk hunting.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take what you know will shoot well in your rifle.

"Premium" factory loads are just another way to get you to spend lots of money. Fancy boxes don't kill deer. I've taken 200+ lb mulies at over 200 yards with a .243 using 100 gr CoreLokts. What you have will do just fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suspect that he is recommending that you have more bullet than you need as insurance. That being said the 130 gr SST is just fine. I shoot 130 gr Ballistic Tips out of my 270 WSM for PA deer at ranges of 40 to 200 yds. Have not had a single one run off, dead right there performance. That 130 gr SST is adequate to take any thin skinned game on this continent just as the 243 is as well. Are there better tools for the job, of course do you need them, probably not. Take what you are comfortable with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.