Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Adding length to OAL >

Adding length to OAL

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Adding length to OAL

Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Spike

Default Adding length to OAL

I have reloads that have the bullets seated to deep, how do you guys pull the bullet slightly back out?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

I bought one of those hammer type pullers, I havn't used it yet.
I have around a half dozen rounds I seated to deep to pull apart next session.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a hammer puller. Get the bullet started moving, make sure your seater die is set properly, and have at it.....
Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Pawildman
I use a hammer puller. Get the bullet started moving, make sure your seater die is set properly, and have at it.....
Yep
Old 09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
bigcountry

I use a kinetic hammer too. But I never have good luck doing it. Seems those loads I pull out has less neck tension or something and doesn't shoot the same as if I loaded it that same COL.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Ditto, never had good luck with accuracy just pulling bullets a bit. I'd rather pull them dump the powder, then remove the decapping pin from the sizer die and resize and reload.
RR
That's what I do. It seems that once the bullet starts moving in the puller, the brass loses it's "squeeze" on the bullet and it's just not the same.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto, never had good luck with accuracy just pulling bullets a bit. I'd rather pull them dump the powder, then remove the decapping pin from the sizer die and resize and reload.
RR
Just wonderin'....Have you ever checked bullet runout after hammering and re-setting without resizing/resetting? Curious...
Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Spike

Thanks, sounds like I need to dump, resize and reload.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

never got that in-depth into it pa, but in my 7mm STW the ES went from single didgets to almost 200 fps. so just assumed it was a neck tension thing.
RR
Yeah....That's interesting. With that kind of spread it's not the runout problem I kinda thought it may be. When you and bc were saying they didn't shoot as well, I wondered if the hammer was causing the bullet to come out at a bit of an arc or angle and creating excessive runout.....Thanks.....
Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Pawildman
Yeah....That's interesting. With that kind of spread it's not the runout problem I kinda thought it may be. When you and bc were saying they didn't shoot as well, I wondered if the hammer was causing the bullet to come out at a bit of an arc or angle and creating excessive runout.....Thanks.....
Honstely, I never check it when I pull one out with a hammer. I usually seat too deep during setup. And only 2 rounds max, so I use those for foulers.