Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Primer question

Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Question Primer question

Will the switching from "federal large magnum #215 primer, to the federal Gold Medal match 215 primer make a difference in my otherwise exact same loaded round??
Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by fishead View Post
Will the switching from "federal large magnum #215 primer, to the federal Gold Medal match 215 primer make a difference in my otherwise exact same loaded round??
I found zero difference in velocity or accuracy. From that, I quit buying the match.

Might make a difference in a sub.2" gun but in my MOA rifle, I didn't see it.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Bigcountry
Old 10-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

215M are just 215's with better QC
Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

The "match" primers are exactly the same primers as the standard grade primers but with a QC difference. The difference is the people that are making the "match" primers have exhibited an ability to produce a higher quality product and only these people produce the "match" grade primers.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:29 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls View Post
The "match" primers are exactly the same primers as the standard grade primers but with a QC difference. The difference is the people that are making the "match" primers have exhibited an ability to produce a higher quality product and only these people produce the "match" grade primers.
I would like to know the lowdown on this. Federal has kept thier secret close to thier chest.

Good artical about 10 years ago in extreme accuracy mag or one of those mags. I got it around here somewhere. They showed a significant burn difference with 215M and 215.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 AM
bigcountry

Found the article. Precision shooting Sept 1999 copy. "Short Primer on Primers partII" by ML McPherson. Very detailed article that showed more power in a 210 primer than even a 215 when tested in a jig for moving a wieght. Found that strange. But 215's caused higher velocity and pressure. Also showed significant differences in Primers from 1970 lot compared to 1995 lot. If you ever get a chance, its a good article.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would like to know the lowdown on this. Federal has kept thier secret close to thier chest.
I got this from a show I watched a few years ago. I can't remember what manufacturer was showcased (pretty sure it was either CCI or Federal) but it was a tour of an ammunition plant showing the manufacturing process from start to finish including the manufacturing of the primers from mixing the primer compound to assembling the primer components. They would not reveal their secret recipe but according the the "plant manager" that was giving the tour and interview this is the only difference between a match and standard grade primer of the same size.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found match grade primers have cut down on my fliers. Good luck.