Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Powder question

Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default Powder question

Got a powder question for eveybody. Had a friend give me 2 containers of powder her husband used for reloading before he passed away. One's marked Hodgen 4831, the other simply 4895.
These containers are not original powder bottles.
I load with IMR 4895 (41.5 grains) so I know what that looks like in my 308 case. Load data for Hodgen 4895 says start with 40 grains. When I load that, I can't even seat the bullet it's so full of powder. Have not tried the "4831" yet and obviously am not going to shoot anything with this stuff until I can figure out what it really is.
So here's my question. Anybody have a way/method to determine what these powders are?
Each container has about 4.5 pounds of powder in each. Hate to use that up just to make my kids a flaming volcano...

Thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by n5638b
These containers are not original powder bottles.

BURN IT!!! Pour it in a nice fine line and light it. I will make some very pretty flames.

Using powder you are not sure about is good way get a new gun though. Maybe even one of those where someone has to tell you when you are on the target.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iowabuckslayer

BURN IT!!! Pour it in a nice fine line and light it. I will make some very pretty flames.

Using powder you are not sure about is good way get a new gun though. Maybe even one of those where someone has to tell you when you are on the target.
+1!!!There's no way to know for certain what you've got.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Old Powder

Old Powder is the ultimate fertilizer. Take it out in your yard to the bad spots and spread it sparingly on the bad areas. They will be nice and green next year.

Using a powder that you are not 110% sure of. That is asking for trouble. Tom.