Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading in bulk 5.56mm question >

Reloading in bulk 5.56mm question

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading in bulk 5.56mm question

Old 09-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Spike

Default Reloading in bulk 5.56mm question

I hand reload for my Savage heavy barrel 223 but do so for pure accuracy so cost per round is not an issue. Early this week a guy I know wanted to sell his mini-14 and I got it cheap. I already know the mini-14's are not the most accurate weapons made so I plan on just using it for pure blasting fun and carrying it on the tractor with me. It always seems when out brush hogging or stuff I always see yotes and such.

I was shocked at what surplus 5.56mm ammo is going for now days. I did look at some of the Russian cheap stuff and for what I am doing with it, it would probably do. Yes I know its junk but just for pure fun of pulling the trigger...... but I want to ask you guys that reload in bulk for the 5.56mm caliber what you think your actual cost per round is including labor. I already have the dies, presses, power, primers, and saw some cheap once shot brass but I hate trimming brass and the thought of doing a 1000 cases makes me shudder.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I hear about Mini-14s, I'd be inclined to feed it the cheap stuff and make a point of cleaning it regularly, rather than mess with reloading for it - unless you have a Dillon RL550 or better.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by homers brother
From what I hear about Mini-14s, I'd be inclined to feed it the cheap stuff and make a point of cleaning it regularly, rather than mess with reloading for it - unless you have a Dillon RL550 or better.
That was kind of what I was thinking also. Maybe someday I'll get a colt barrel and have it turned and fitted to improve the accuracy but till then...........Thanks for giving me some feedback
Old 11-07-2009, 08:23 AM
bwl
Spike

I load bulk .223 for a Bushy m4 carbine and a Rock River varmint. For the M4, I buy 55gr FMJ's for plinking. I have a lot of brass on hand so I don't have to worry about that. My last estimate was around $150 for bullets, primers, and powder. I load hornady 75 gr bthp's and 69 gr match kings for the rock river. That gets quite a bit more costly, but still a lot cheaper than buying factory anmmo.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default 5.56

I am fortunate to have bought in bulk before the last round of craziness and inflated prices.
I sill have a good part of a factory case of Winchester brass. Bullets and powder l also bought in bulk. The bullets are mostly 69's and 77's. The powder is Re15.
Sooner or later, I'll run out of something and the prices wiil amaze me, I'm sure.
Pete