Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Cast bullet question >

Cast bullet question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cast bullet question

Old 08-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Spike

Default Cast bullet question

Ok, need some help here. I started casting my first bullets tonight and had some weird results ( I think). I cast some
250 gr 50 cal REAL's, some 180 gr 30 cal and 175 gr 40 cal. Used all Lee molds & a Lee IV production pot. Wheel weight lead mixed with 60/40 solder at a 10:1 proportion by weight.
The 50 cals came out really pretty well, but the 30's & 40's have
wrinkles on the top of the bullet and are frosted in the middle, sometimes just one side of the bullet.
It's my understanding that wrinkles come from lead too cold and frosting from lead that's too hot.

Any suggestions??
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Try cleanning your molds out real good, Ive had the best luck useing automotive brake clean, it cleans out any oils and compleatly evaporates. Just befor you start to fill the mold, soot it, light a match or use a lighter, hold it just far enough away from the mold cavity to let a good black soot build up on the inside. I generally place my mold on top of the pot while the lead is melting, once the lead is ready to start pourring, Ill fill the mold with the cutter in the open position and let it sit for a minute or two to heat the mold up to proper temp, knock the lead out and start making good bullets. You are correct, frosted is too hot, but wrinkles can also be caused by oils in the mold. Hope this helps you out.