Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bench height

Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bench height

Just moved into a new house and am starting from scratch on my loading bench (I had to leave my old bench at the last house).
I had a 6' x 24" x 1.5" red oak top made and now I need to build the bottom. I'm thinking of using 4x4 cedar for the legs but I need to get a consensus of what height the bench should be. I forgot to take down any measurements on my old bench but it was a little too short = sore back.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default bench height

Mine is 37 inches high.I have a rolling computer chair and a barstool type wooden stool that are different heights.I use the different height chairs for different tasks.The taller stool for resizing and the roller chair for priming,charging and seating works well for me.I just finished building a new bench. This picture was taken before I urathaned it and put all my stuff on it.
Attached Thumbnails Bench height-bench2.jpg   Bench height-bench6.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

I just built one at 36" height. I am 5'8" and fits me. I have seen bench design drawing on various websites that range in heights 32-40". 24" is too low. I used 4x4's for the legs with 2x3 for cross braces and 2x4 for the frame and 1/2" plywood for the table. I joiced in another pc of 2x4 underneath the bench which is what my press is mounted to. Cost me about $60 in lumber.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Spike

I like em like the one I use for rifle reloading.Mainly becuz a office chair like this one is perfect..this table is 3 ft from the floor to the vise on the corner.
but I use a different height of table for reloading shotgun shells -becuz I am standing when I am reloading shotgun shells.

Last edited by Rodngun; 08-25-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Mine is 38" tall and I stand up for almost all of my reloading
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by okgobbler View Post
Mine is 38" tall and I stand up for almost all of my reloading
I'll bet thats a pain in the arse..
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are some things that standing up for makes things easier. If you dip powder for your loads, that is one thing that standing up for makes easier. But I know that for me, standing up and leaning over a bench is a pain in the back. I converted a computer station that I built into a reloading bench and although it isn't quite as strong as I would like, it works great. Having the keyboard deck down at just above waist height is actually quite nice for bullet trays and lubing before sizing. I am planning on building a new one soon, but have a lot of other projects on the plate first.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also stand. Tried sitting and just doesn't work for me.

Tom