Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Trying to be careful >

Trying to be careful

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Trying to be careful

Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trying to be careful

So, I pick up my first reloader kit, look through the threads here (especially the sticky up on top) to try and get what i need to get started.

I drive 55 miles, each way, to pick up a Shell holder for my 7mm Rem Mag. I call the store the night before to see if they have it. Guys says "plenty". I get there in the morning and they don't have any.
"Sorry"
I get a little upset that i drove that far and add the fact that now i don't have what i need to get started.

The guy hands me a shell holder for a 7mm wsm. Says, it will work just fine. I look at the back of the package and it does not list a 7mm Rem Mag as one of the cartriges that it fits.

Guy says "'Ive been loading for 20 years ". It's the same thing and will work fine".

Again guys, this is day 1 for me and reloading. I passed on this guiys advice and walked away. Was he right?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

He's probably right. I'd double check the case measurements after resizing, but there really isn't much difference between the rim measurements of the two. The WSM rim diameter spec is 0.535", while the 7mm Rem Mag is 0.532". The rims are the same thickness. The WSM was designed to allow the use of the standard magnum bolt face. The only real difference is that the 7mm RM has a belt that is the same diameter as the rim, while the 7mm WSM has no belt, but is a rebated rim design where the rim is smaller than the body of the case at the web. So it's possible that a shellholder designed for the standard belted mags like the 7mm RM might be too thick to accommodate the WSM, but not the other way around.

I just looked up the charts for shellholders and found the following, where the first number is the shellholder for the 7mm Rem Mag, and the second is for the WSM:

RCBS: #4/#43
Redding: #6 for both
Hornady: #5/#35
Lee: #5 for both
Lyman: #13/#34

Here's the link to the chart: http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/s...lder_Chart.pdf

So some brands use the same shellholder, others don't. The best thing you can do is try it (but save your receipt).

Mike
Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
bigcountry

Well, it probably would work, just a lot of slop in that shell holder and risk of pulling off the rim of a case if you didn't get enough lube on. I would have passed and I have been reloading about that amount of time.

One thing your going to learn in reloading is there are stupid people who reloads just like stupid people who drives. No longer how long you have raised a press ram, if you were stupid before you started, your still stupid now. You got to be careful of people who needs to tell you they have been reloading for 50 years. In other words just because a guy has been driving for 40 years doesn't mean he is qualified to on a roadrace.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy stuff on the internet instead. Driving that kind of distance will easily offset the shipping cost.

I agree with BC on the race car driver analogy.

Tom
Old 08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I walked away without buying it. I did find it at another shop later that day
I have had so many issues purchasing over the internet. 2x now in the past 6 months i have had cash withdrawls made in India. Fortunately the CC comapany did not hold me liable but still.
Plus in this case i was just excited to get started so i went to get it

Thanks for the replies. Like i said i'm new at reloading and will have tons of Q's
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM

I feel your pain.
I don't even bother making a trip to buy something anymore, I just order it. If I am driving by I will stop in, but trying to find specific reloading stuff around me is just frustrating.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry cracks me up.....he's just usually right with his advice, and again is this time. I know what you are going through. It just remains the same with reloading... Make sure you've got the right stuff right off the bat. Slop is something you just cannot tolerate with precision reloading. Period.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Internet purchases

I order off the internet all the time BUT I stick with known companies, Cableas,Bass Pro, Midway USA,Natchez Shooters Supply, Mid South Shooters Supply, Graf and Sons, and sometimes I chance Ebay.I haven't gotten beat YET.