Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
remington small rifle primers? >

remington small rifle primers?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

remington small rifle primers?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Spike

Default remington small rifle primers?

just received a box 0f 1000 remington no.6 1/2 small rifle primers.
this new box has a warning on it that the last box i purchased did not have.warning: do not use in 17 rem,222 rem,223rem. does anyone know why this warning was added to the new primers? thanks for any information.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got me, first time I've ever heard not to use 6 1/2's in 222 or 223. Perhaps you should give Remington a call.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by harrell
just received a box 0f 1000 remington no.6 1/2 small rifle primers.
this new box has a warning on it that the last box i purchased did not have.warning: do not use in 17 rem,222 rem,223rem. does anyone know why this warning was added to the new primers? thanks for any information.
The 17 rem, 204 ruger, 222, 223 all need the thickest/toughest primer because of the very high pressures involved in small rifles. Theses same rifles in semiauto/AR-15 configs are even at greater risk of Slam-Fires caused by the floating firing pin. The proper primers were specially designed by Rem are the 7 1/2's.

These are thicker and resist firing pin punctures and slam-fire ignitions.

You may be able to get by with(6 1/2's) bolt action rifles and moderate hand loads, but I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 07-29-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to use them, my AR has a very lite trigger , so lite that it will not set a heavy off
Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LaneNebraska
The 17 rem, 204 ruger, 222, 223 all need the thickest/toughest primer because of the very high pressures involved in small rifles. Theses same rifles in semiauto/AR-15 configs are even at greater risk of Slam-Fires caused by the floating firing pin. The proper primers were specially designed by Rem are the 7 1/2's.

These are thicker and resist firing pin punctures and slam-fire ignitions.

You may be able to get by with(6 1/2's) bolt action rifles and moderate hand loads, but I wouldn't do it.
How the heck do you figure that?, the 7 1/2 is a bench rest primer which means that the quality control and consistency is tighter for more consistant ignition. It has nothing to do with the cup metal being thicker or being able to handle higher pressure loads. Whoever told you that was just trying to sucker you into buying the more expensive primers. Every single loading manual says nothing about having to use BR primers for semi auto's.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
How the heck do you figure that?, the 7 1/2 is a bench rest primer which means that the quality control and consistency is tighter for more consistant ignition. It has nothing to do with the cup metal being thicker or being able to handle higher pressure loads. Whoever told you that was just trying to sucker you into buying the more expensive primers. Every single loading manual says nothing about having to use BR primers for semi auto's.
Well, just a few other folks, including Remington, agree with me...

http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...i=&p_topview=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gMbu...eature=related

http://handgunforum.net/showthread.php?p=184210

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=334244

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=347895
Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well of course Remington will push for you to use the more expensive primer, they make more money. Nosler, Lyman, Speer, Winchester, Hornady and Barnes make absolutely no reference to the need to use match grade primers in semi's. the white box CCI primers specifically #34 and #41 are made to military spec. Wow the things that uninformed people will fall for. I guess the 30 plus years that people have been using standard primers everyone was all wrong, as well as the biggest names in the industry.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

The 6 1/2 has a softer cup and a lower brisance. It is very useful in small capcity cases of lower pressure like the 22H, 25-20, 32-20, etc. As mentioned it is not for use in the smaller higher pressure cartridges of the .222+ family. The 7 1/2 primer was developed especially for these smaller higher pressure cartridges. It has a stronger cup and more brisance conducive to the use of ball powders. The WSR primer is pretty much the same as is the Federal 205.

There are small rifle magnum primers such as CCI 450s.

Larry Gibson

I'm such a dupe that, I'll side with Larry, and on the side of safety.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

The cups ARE thicker on 7.5s. Use what you want. The manufacturer would not put that on there unless there was a compelling reason (lawsuits perhaps?).
Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
Well of course Remington will push for you to use the more expensive primer, they make more money. Nosler, Lyman, Speer, Winchester, Hornady and Barnes make absolutely no reference to the need to use match grade primers in semi's. the white box CCI primers specifically #34 and #41 are made to military spec. Wow the things that uninformed people will fall for. I guess the 30 plus years that people have been using standard primers everyone was all wrong, as well as the biggest names in the industry.
How do you know they make more $ on the 7 1/2 then on the 6 1/2. The 7 1/2 are more expensive yes, but they also cost more to manufacture. Please post the cost analysis and profit margin for the two different types of primers in question.

Nosler, Lyman, Speer, Winchester, Hornady and Barnes make absolutely no reference to the need to use match grade primers in semi's.
They do make reference to primers with thicker cups though. Here is one example from Sierra.

Some makes may also utilize a thinner cup to guarantee reliability, although this is not always the case. The Remington 7 1/2 Benchrest primer, for example, uses a fairly thick cup. Sensitivity can become an issue here and may increase the risk of a slam-fire.

So, You go ahead and ignore the warnings of the Primer manufacturer, Bullet manufacturers and Powder manufactures. Shoot-em up, have fun. Just make sure you tell all your fellow shooters at the range to stand clear of you and your rifle.