Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
What brand is your favorite for loading dies? >

What brand is your favorite for loading dies?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What brand is your favorite for loading dies?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What brand is your favorite for loading dies?

I've never given it much thought before, for my 30-06 I have a set of RCBS. I want to start loading for my 30-30 and I met a guy who said to stay away from RCBS and Hornady dies. He recommended Lee dies because of the internal shape, says the bullets line up better. Is there really any difference, what brand does everyone prefer?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like Redding for rifle dies, but RCBS dies are pretty good too. I also have had good luck with Hornady New Dimension Titanium Nitride and RCBS dies for straight walled cartridges.

Mike
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

I have RCBS, Hornady, and Lee rifle dies. They all work well for me, and will not hesitate buying any of them.

I think the best overall value is Lee. I really like their neck sizing Collet dies.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
bigcountry

Well, if you friend really recommended lee dies, then I will recommend you stay away from his advise. Lee rifle dies are junk, and seater dies worse. Redding competition dies are by far the finest dies I have seen. Redding bushing dies are great, Bad news is a set can run you up to 100 dollars. So needless to say, I only got a few redding sets.

I alway have ok luck with RCBS.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wolverine72
I have RCBS, Hornady, and Lee rifle dies. They all work well for me, and will not hesitate buying any of them.

I think the best overall value is Lee. I really like their neck sizing Collet dies.
I think that I'm leaning towards the Lee dies, $24.99 at BPS. It comes with the shell holder which I need, and it also has the factory crimp die which is probably a good idea since they're for a lever action.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
I think that I'm leaning towards the Lee dies, $24.99 at BPS. It comes with the shell holder which I need, and it also has the factory crimp die which is probably a good idea since they're for a lever action.
Well, you get what you pay for. Just the the record, I want to tell you "I told you so". I have owned 3 sets of pacesetter dies, and all caused either excessive neck runout, or bullet runout.

Only lee die worth buying is collet die. And that is probably what your friend is talking about.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Big, I was typing my last reply when you posted yours, I didn't see it until now. That guy isn't a friend, just someone who jumped in on a conversation, that's why I'm asking. I had just assumed I'd need RCBS because I have a rockchucker press. I just learned that the dies were interchangable, my press came with the only dies that I've ever used. I haven't done much reloading, just plinking loads for my 30-06. I never saw the use in reloading my hunting loads since my '06 shoots Federal premium loads excellent and they perform great on deer. I'm more interested in mild plinking loads to kill aluminum cans with, and now I want to do the same with my new 30-30.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 AM
bigcountry

Well, if you not after every little tiny bit of accuracy then lee will work just fine.

Remember if you get a collet dies, you also will need a Full length die for new brass.

Here's the deal. Your doing load development. You see promise in a load. Then you get a flyer out of no-where. You start questioning everything. Runout is a biggie for some calibers, othes like a 308win doesn't seem to affect it.

i have done a lot of tests with runout. and have separated out different batches from real bad at .010", then bad, from .007" to .010", then ok from .004" to .007", then almost perfect .000" to .003". What I notice on most rifles is things don't make a huge amount of difference until you get past .005"

But I have also found that even with perfect match dies you can screw up neck or bullet runout and found the shell holder slop to be the issue, or squareing of the dies.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Lee and they work just fine.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Lee, RCBS and Redding. My preference in buying new dies is Redding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.