Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Bullet seating depth >

Bullet seating depth

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bullet seating depth

Old 07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Spike

Default Bullet seating depth

Was trying to learn my new hobby (toy according to my wife). Question is how do I set the bullet seating depth, am using RCBS 243 dies in my Lee handloader. When I placed a bullet on a case and ran the ram up my COL was from 2.55" to 2.75". I made five dummies and now have pull the bullets.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So long as you're within the min/max length specs the ammo is good to go.That said bullet depth will have an effect on the loads pressure so different depths all else equal will shoot a little different.The main thing is to be sure the OAL allows the ammo to fit the magazine and feed properly.Generally it's best to have the bullets just a bit short of contact with the rifling.In many case's this will give you the best accuracy particularly so with loads that are near max case capacity or compressed loads.The Nosler manual gives step by step instructions for doing this.I don't have the time now but I can post the procedure later.Good luck!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

On RCBS dies you need to loosen the lock nut and use a screwdriver to adjust seating depth, clockwise seats the bullet deeper, counter clockwise further out. With a hand loader the amount of pressure can have an effect, consistency is key.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Step 19: Bullet Seating (Part 1)
Thread the seater die a few turns into the press. Put a case in the shell holder and lower the press handle, running the ram with the case to the top of the press stroke. Turn the die body down until it stops. The crimp shoulder in the die is now pressing against the top of the case mouth. Back the die out one turn, raising the crimp shoulder above the case mouth. Secure the die in position with the die lock ring.

Step 20: Bullet Seating (Part 2)
Next, unscrew the seater plug enough to keep the bullet from being seated too deeply

Step 21: Bullet Seating (Part 3)
With the handle in the uppermost position insert a properly primed and charged case into the shell holder

Step 22: Bullet Seating (Part 4)
Take a bullet and hold it over the case mouth with one hand while you lower the press handle with the other, easing the case and the bullet up into the die. After raising the handle, note the seating depth of the loaded round. If the bullet needs to be seated deeper into the case, turn the seater plug down.

Step 23: Bullet Seating (Part 5)
Run the loaded round back up into the die, raise the press handle and check the seating depth again. A few more adjustments may be needed for the proper bullet seating depth; then, you simply tighten the small seater plug lock ring.

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/stepbystep.aspx

Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help fellas, finally figrered out what I had done wrong, didn't adjust the die in the correct. I knew that ya'll would straighten my butt out. Thanks again.