Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Taking the Leap

Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taking the Leap

Check out Ebay, you can still get reloading equipment rather cheap.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I rarely tumble anymore. I mean it looks good, but not sure if nessassary.
I beleive it is. Remember your leaving residue inside the case which in turn decreases case capacity = higher perssure.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brush hunter

I beleive it is. Remember your leaving residue inside the case which in turn decreases case capacity = higher perssure.
..........Well, you can do what you want, but I believe that tumbling basically cleans the outside of the casing, particularly bottle-neck fifle brass, with little or no effect to the interior of that case. The possible exception would be straight-sided cases such as the 45/70 and handgun casings, and even then only at a reduced level.........
Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 PM
bigcountry

man, I have heard a lot of things in reloading, but thats the first I heard this one. You really believe that?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Yes i do and have proven it.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

......Well, we're always eager to hear new things here....So please enlighten us....??
Old 06-27-2009, 05:17 PM
bigcountry

Ok, do you have any pressure data? What was your technique for measureing pressure? Piezo, or Copper under pressure?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Spike

Bought my press kit years ago from http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...DING%20PRESSES

Use thumbler's tumbler for years. I'll use range brass left by others so I like to have then clean for inspection. If you used military crimped brass you will need a swage or reamer to remove crimp.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Ok, do you have any pressure data? What was your technique for measureing pressure? Piezo, or Copper under pressure?
it was a few years back and i'm still looking for the data, however we used a chronograph, and mesured vel. We used 50 cases from the same lot all fired once. half were cleaned half were not, they were all loaded with the same bullets, primers and power from the same lots. the loads were all shot in 5 shot groups, the gun was cleaned after each group. The dirty rounds all fired between 5 to 8 flbs higher than the clean ones. it may not be 100% accurate, but I'm saying higher vel. =higher pressure.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

it was a few years back and i'm still looking for the data, however we used a chronograph, and mesured vel. We used 50 cases from the same lot all fired once. half were cleaned half were not, they were all loaded with the same bullets, primers and power from the same lots. the loads were all shot in 5 shot groups, the gun was cleaned after each group. The dirty rounds all fired between 5 to 8 flbs higher than the clean ones. it may not be 100% accurate, but I'm saying higher vel. =higher pressure.

Quick Reply: Taking the Leap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.