Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Nickle plated or brass >

Nickle plated or brass

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nickle plated or brass

Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nickle plated or brass

I just reloaded some brand new 243 nickle plated cases with some Hornady and seira bullets andI noticed something that I have never seen while reloading brass cases ( I have never reloaded new nickle plated cases) and it seems that the hard nickle does not let the soft copper plated bullet inside with out leaving a lot of metal shavings, I have of course removed them, have tried to expand the neck of the case using my 243 RCBS die but it still happens. And another question, why are these cases harder to chamber? Is this nickle plated stuff that much stronger?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nickle plated or brass

I like nickel plated cases for ammo that will not be fired and reloaded a great number of times, as it may flake. Use brass cases for ammo that you will fire and reload often. Also nickel cases are good for cartridges that you may load with black powder, as they are easier to wash clean after firing.....