Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Case trimming advise >

Case trimming advise

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Case trimming advise

Old 04-30-2003, 07:24 AM
bigcountry

Default Case trimming advise

I have a RCBS case trimmer. I really never liked the way it trims. It seems it puts pressure on one side or another of the brass while trimming. Seems that the case never did align good with the pilot. I have to push down on the pressure bar(that loosens the shells) and then push the cutter into the case, then start cutting. Called RCBS years ago, and they said they don' t guarantee an exact fit with the tolerances of the shell holders and all and to loosen the hex screw underneath. But if I do that, I get large variations of cut lengths, not within the 1mil that I like. Some cases come out 2.005" , some 2.010, some 2.000. But mostly, I am worried about runout. I don' t have anything to measure runout and would hate to fall into another attribute to drive me crazy. It would seem that pressure of being off center might push the neck off a little. Anybody else see this? Any other cutters that you would recommend?

Old 04-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Case trimming advise

In my experience Wilson is the best case trimmer. Necks come out perfectly square and all cases measure precisely the same length.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:44 AM

Bigcountry,

I think I have tried all of the case trimming systems out there and until now I’ve been disappointed. The snipers on our department all use and rave about the Lee case trimming system. So I thought I would give it a try. I can’t believe I didn’t buy this a long time ago, perfect case trimming and fast. Each and every case turns out to be the same length every time. Hey for about $6.00 give it a try I think you’ll like it. Sure surprised me.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:36 PM
bigcountry

I called RCBS about this once again. Figured I would go that route first. She really didn' t want to diagnose the problem. She said they were going to send me a new shaft, cutter, and head assembly. Only thing left was frame. Don' t know why they just don' t go and send me whole new unit. But I won' t complain. I will give this a try. I hate to fork out money for a new trimmer. But this might explain problems I have had for a long time.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry:

I have the same case trimmer, but now I have the Power Case Trimmer due to carpel tunnel syndrome. I have had the same problem with both trimmers. When I would insert the pilot in to the case mouth, it some times would not enter the case mouth stright because the case is not level with the shaft/pilot. What I do is hold the lever down and insert the shaft/pilot into the case mouth, and the pilot would center the case in the shell holder. I am doing the same thing as you to square up the case, this is the only way I could get around it also. I always thought inconstancy in the case-head/rim may cause this.
Good luck.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:14 PM
bigcountry

I agree handloader, but am concerned with runout cause by the extra pressure against one side of the neck. I think I might invest in that wilson trimmer. Looks really nice and would be independent of the base not being perfectly square. Another 100 dollars in reloading equipment.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry:

The way I check runout is with a RCBS Casemaster Gauging Tool; another $67.00. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry, if you invest (and I do mean invest) in the Wilson trimmer I know you' ll be happy. It may not be as fast as some of the others, but it is very precise. I have mine mounted on the Sinclair stand, which I recommend also. The Sinclair micrometer adjustment would be a nice addition also, but it' s not totally necessary. I don' t have it myself, but I might add it in the future.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:01 AM

Problem is finding the wilson? What about pilots for the 300 Ultra? Can they be found?
Old 05-03-2003, 05:55 AM

I use the Lee trimmers chucked in a drill. Perfect case trimming in a fraction of the time it takes on the others. The lee is so simple that the others look like rube goldberg contraptions. Why complicate simple tasks?

Quick Reply: Case trimming advise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.