Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

I messed up

Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 AM

Default I messed up

Hello all good people, I'm all new to reloading, all brand new lee toys.
When I set my new lee powder scale up I set the adjustable poise to 1 grain, that was wrong, its to be .1 grain. I loaded 100 .357 mag shells and 100 30-06 shells with too much powder, now I need to knock the bullets out, resize the brass and start over, the question is can I reuse the bullets. I do have a bullet removal hammer.
thank you Kevin
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I messed up

Sure, you should be able to reload them. Don't feel bad, I once had my lee scale off 10 grains, as I had the ball bearing in the wrong spot.

If you post the recipe you used, somebody with quickload could give you an estimate of the pressure for the .30-06. It might not be to bad.

I have the RCBS collet bullet puller, and that works much better than the inertia type.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks Prairie Wolf, I know for a fact the .357 is way over, at least 3 or maybe 4 grains over maxs load,so those are a no go.
The 30-06 should be ok, but I'm going to check them just to be safe,
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM
bigcountry

It happens. After a while of knocking out bullets, you will not load so many at once.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I wasn't going to suggest using those, 1 grain in that size case makes a big difference.

I was just reading an article on the 17 fireball. Memory fails, but I think an overcharge of one grain would destroy the gun in that small case. It was a small amount.

I remember reading that a 5% increase in powder results in 40% increase in pressure. That is just a rule of thumb of course.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: roamingkevin

Hello all good people, I'm all new to reloading, all brand new lee toys.
When I set my new lee powder scale up I set the adjustable poise to 1 grain, that was wrong, its to be .1 grain. I loaded 100 .357 mag shells and 100 30-06 shells with too much powder, now I need to knock the bullets out, resize the brass and start over, the question is can I reuse the bullets. I do have a bullet removal hammer.
thank you Kevin
By hammer, I assume you mean an inertia bullet puller. If so, you CAN use the bullets. That is the main advantage to that kind of puller.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Spike

I put a couple of cleaning patches in the inertia "hammer" might lessen bullet marring. RCBS is better for mass pullings.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM

well thanks for the help people, some may only shoot a few rounds, 200 rounds is not alot.

the corection of the inertia bullet puller, sorry about that, I know now that was all my trouble,

Thanks for the info, I learned 2 many rounds and INERIA that all I need to know from you too,
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: roamingkevin

well thanks for the help people, some may only shoot a few rounds, 200 rounds is not alot.

the corection of the inertia bullet puller, sorry about that, I know now that was all my trouble,

Thanks for the info, I learned 2 many rounds and INERIA that all I need to know from you too,
200 rounds is not a lot for a veteran reloader, but it certainly is to a new reloader. Its a common story we see here from reloaders. I made the mistake, and so did others. It happens. Good news is you learn how to use a kinetic hammer real well.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM

bigcountry, hey I'm sorry for the smart ass coment, I have made another mistake, I didn't realize what you were saying, I now get your point and Im sorry.
I seem to have alot of people that tells me abuch of info that wrong, and Im only trying to do my best to figure things out, crimp ro not to crimp, powders, they all seem to have different powders, why, because in the manual, so whats the differents between varget or imr 4064 but I have both, and no answer, so Im reading and trying to figure it out.
big country I am sorry for my comment. thankyou kevin

Quick Reply: I messed up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.