HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Loading Close to the Lands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/289430-loading-close-lands.html)

statjunk 03-17-2009 11:53 AM

Loading Close to the Lands

Hello,

Wondering how many rifle manufactures set barrels close enough to the action so that bullets can be loaded close to the lands but still fit in the magazine. Any thoughts, experiences or opinions on this?

Thanks

Tom

jeepkid 03-17-2009 12:07 PM

RE: Loading Close to the Lands

I know my Ruger is WAY off! I don't think most other manufacturers do either...[:@]

Howler 03-17-2009 01:42 PM

From everything that I've researched, the distance that the bullet is from the lands is one of the, if not the, lastfactors to concider when loading for accuracy. I'm a firm believer in this as well.

jeepkid 03-17-2009 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

From everything that I've researched, the distance that the bullet is from the lands is one of the, if not the, lastfactors to concider when loading for accuracy. I'm a firm believer in this as well.
Not if your shooting VLD style bullets...

bigcountry 03-17-2009 02:46 PM

I have bought a lot of guns over the past 15-20 years. And here is what I notice. Especially with Remington 700's. 700's made before 1990, it was not uncommon to be able to hit the rifling and be under max COL and be able to put in your mag. And over the years, it has gotten progressively worse. I don't have one rifle made past 2000 that I can hit the rifling and be under max COL, and be able to fit in mag. Shoot, take out being under max COL, and I still don't have one from 2000 up.

Most rifles will shoot underpressure with long throats. I believe its a safety thing. Some rounds require long throats. Like the 300RUM and the 7mmSTW and especially the weatherbys. If you get a 300RUM barreled and reamed so you can touch the rifleing under 3.6" COL, you most likely will not be able to to shoot factory ammo. I actually knew a guy who requested this, and he cannot load to most mfg. max recommendations.

I have a 1980 700 7mm-08 varmiter. Most accurate gun I got. I can touch the rifling at 2.74" with most bullets. Thats over .06" shy of SAAMI specs. My new 204ruger, the bullet would fall out before hitting.

statjunk 03-17-2009 05:33 PM

How can you change a rifle to make this happen? Please describe the process the smith has to under go.

About how much will something like this cost?

Thanks

Tom

Maverick 1 03-17-2009 06:21 PM

Is it possible to lengthen the magazine? I am not sure how much you could cut away as far as the magazine and the stock until you would start to encroach on the front guard screw.

statjunk 03-17-2009 08:40 PM

I'm thinking you'd have to somehow cut the barrel not lengthen the magazine.

Tom

devil dog 03-18-2009 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: statjunk

How can you change a rifle to make this happen? Please describe the process the smith has to under go.

About how much will something like this cost?

Thanks

Tom
Need to pull the barrel and do a set-back " cut the amount needed off the chamber side of the barrel", then re-install the barrel and rechamber!. Personally, most stock barrels arent worth the time to me if your trying to make a target shooter, I would re-berrel with a Hart, Douglas or any top barrel manufactors.

Ron Duval 03-18-2009 07:14 AM

old

removed by RD