Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

45 Colt loads

Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 45 Colt loads

Getting a 45 L.C. Vaquero very soon and enjoy reloading so needs some good loads to shoot.I have plenty of Unique powder so leaning towards it,what else can the group add to suggestions? Need info on cast and jacketed slugs,not looking at pushing them hard just consistant loads.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 45 Colt loads

8-10 grains of Unique are very good charges for the 250-255 grains Keith style semiwadcutters...........
Old 02-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thankyou sir...now to find bullets,I noticed Midway is backordered on alot of stuff!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Spike

Have had very good success with Unique for both semi wadcutters and JHP's in 45LC and 44mag
Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used alot of Unique in the 357,20ga,and 12ga,and the uses just keep on coming.Other than cleanlyness or lack of it,it's been pretty universal stuff. Side note when the mods. going to get this site running better...I spend more time hitting refresh than trolling the forums![:@]
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

A gunsmith I was talking with was in the process of restoring a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Long Colt.He was in the middle of trimming 454 Causall brass to 45 long colt length in order to load the 45 LC to 44 mag performance levels and still get good brass life. I mentioned it because it seemed like a good idea.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have got lucky and been coming across some 45 brass so things are looking up for me.I have loaded a few with 7.5 gr of unique behind 230 rn slug so going to have to see how they buck!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before you go off loading for that Vaquero, which on is it, the old model or the new??? It makes a difference and people should have asked you this before giving out those loads. The old model is built comparable to the Blackhawk model and the New Vaquero is built comparable to Colt and Colt clones. The new vaquero was not made to shoot the heavy loads the old model.

Makesure you know which model you have first before shooting the wrong load in thewrong gun!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm good it's the old model.I was researching it and is the one I prefered.Says Ruger Vaquero under cylinder,new ones say Ruger New Vaquero.Thanks for input!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

I'm good it's the old model.I was researching it and is the one I prefered.Says Ruger Vaquero under cylinder,new ones say Ruger New Vaquero.Thanks for input!
Good, good. Now that that is out of the way, you need to load her up. I had two special editions ( cylinders for .45 auto & .45 Colt) and used them for CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting). I now have a brace of New Vaqueros and Colts for CAS. I sold one of the SE Vaqueros and am having fun reloading my heavy stuff for the RV. I am still looking for a good gas check lead bullet for it, but pretty much have settled on the 240 XTP/Mag bullet for hunting.

For my woods gun I am using a Speer #4477 200 gr. HP. This bullet is very accruate out to 75 yds. It works very well in all my .45 LC. This iswhat I got at fifty yards with the 200 gr Speers using Unique powder:

As to powder I am a very frugal person. I have a couple of 8# jugs of WC820 military surplus powder. It works extremely well in all my hand cannons. It has the loading consistency of AA #9. Thecost is right during these times of high prices. Check it out:

Andbecause no two guns are the same, I will let you run the tests to see what you RV likes. I am fully retired now and this is what I do for fun. The only commercial rounds I buy any more are .22 rimfire, .17 HMR, and shotgun. All centerfire rounds I shoot are reloaded. I think this RV will keep you busy having fun. Good shooting pal!

Quick Reply: 45 Colt loads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.