Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 reloads for 300 ultra >

reloads for 300 ultra

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

reloads for 300 ultra

Old 01-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: reloads for 300 ultra

Live in Montana, run a fishing buissness/airservice in Canada during thesummer. On floats, yes indeed, sweet machines. Drop me a PM, talk aviation, Im sure these other reloaders dont care to hear about aviation talk.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: reloads for 300 ultra

I agree with the load they provided me being so slow. Wierd aint it? Top it off, they loaded it with Ballistic Tips.Not exactly what I had in mind for abullet to use for a 300 RUM. Esp when I made the order at the SCI show in Reno and gave my deposit, I toldsales guy working the SCIshowit was going to be used for elk.... I should havemade a bigfuss right in the beginning to H-Sbutbeing stubborn nature I am, thought I could work/find a load that itliked.
Although I prefer the 180gr tsx,I have killed eight elk and two moose with the 180gr ballistic tips.The more recent 180gr ballistic tips have very thick jackets at hold together quite well.
Below are some 100 yard groups from one of my 300ultramags using the 180gr ballistic tips.The muzzle velocity is 3340fps.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 AM

Default reloads for 300 Ultra

A little late, I realize, but here goes.
bigdog300 posted a request for 300 ultramag loads in January 2009. I just recently found this post and am offering my 2 cents.
I presently shoot a Remington 700 XCR in 300 RUM. While it seems to shoot most bullets and lods well, it really shines with my adopted whitetail load. That load consists of a 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip over 92 grs. of IMR7828, Remington cases and Fed 215 primers. This load has not once spread out more than one inch for three shots at 100 yards. Most days it will stay in the area of 1/2"-5/8" for three shots. (92 grains of IMR7828 is close to max, so working from below would be a good idea) I intend to try 165 Accubonds and have went so far as to load some. Time being what it is, I have not found the time to see how they act yet.
I hope you fnd the load that works for you as my does for me.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Spike

i am trying the following load with my 300 rum 95 gr of rl 25 with 165 gr swift siroccos i think this will be my hunting load for the louisiana deer .for some reason my rifle likes the swift bullets over nosler . i don't know what causes this but if it works don't fix it right !i an shooting a remington 700 bdl custom deluxe topped with a leupold 4.5 x14 x50 b/c rectile .i have a load with the 150 gr siroccos that shoots fine .
Old 07-22-2009, 05:58 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigdog300
i am trying the following load with my 300 rum 95 gr of rl 25 with 165 gr swift siroccos i think this will be my hunting load for the louisiana deer .for some reason my rifle likes the swift bullets over nosler . i don't know what causes this but if it works don't fix it right !i an shooting a remington 700 bdl custom deluxe topped with a leupold 4.5 x14 x50 b/c rectile .i have a load with the 150 gr siroccos that shoots fine .
I have had a bunch of 300RUM's from factory to custom and for some reason (probably freebore) this round is the most, (I want to say finicky but thats not right), individualistic round I have seen. I can get them to shoot with load development, but everyone has been totally different as kids. Some hated siroccos, another didn't mind, one hated light bullets, less than 180gr, others loved them. One shot sub.5moa with 200gr matchkings and retumbo, another hated it.

The only load I found that is consistent in all 4 of em is 94gr of H1000 with 180gr accubond or BT. But its not a screamer, only kicking about 3200-3250fps in most guns.

Whereas most 308's are consistent in thier likings. I have yet to see too many guns not shoot black hills match 168gr loaded ammo well, or federal match 168gr.

I have got I bet 10 emails in the last 5-7 years asking about 300RUM loads. And some come back and surprised my pet loads don't work for them. But thats relaoding for an overbore caliber.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

My posting from another site:

The results are in. I have made a few trips to the range and had some good luck and some bad luck. All in all I learned a lot about the gun. I did a little ladder test over the chronograph and was very impressed with the speed. The groups on the other hand, not so impressed.

I was not happy with the runout (.003 to .007) of the bullets I was shooting. That might have been the problem. I changed to a RCBS Gold Medal Match Seater die. (.001 to .003) I was not happy with the seating depth either. I changed them both and got the results I was looking for. I changed it from 3.600 to 3.663.

H1000 and the 200 grain accubonds was much slower than 200 grain accubonds and retumbo. I got the 200 grainers going about 3250. Got to be too much recoil on the gun.

Retumbo and the 180 grain Ballistic Tips and Accubonds proved to be the best combination.

98 grains I had the bullet going 3350. It takes 108 grains in my Weatherby 30-378 to get the bullet goin that fast.

I ended at 100.7 and capped her out at 3487. Pretty darn fast but pretty darn hot. I backed it off a little bit to 100.2 and was moving the 180 grain BT at 3460ish, give or take. What was more impressive was the groups that it shot.

I seated the bullets as far out as I could in the magazine. COAL came to 3.663. Charge was 100.2 grains of Retumbo. Bullet was 180 gr BT and Accubonds. Primer is a Fed215M. Brass is R-P weighing 268.7 to 270.2 grains. Both had the same POI. BT were a little tighter. The picture is the BT. The gun is a Stock Remington LSS with a 26" barrel. (purchased on this site) Lightened the trigger, installed a muzzle brake, bedded the action, and replaced the spring in the bolt. ($550)

THE TARGET WAS SET AT 300YDS!!!!!! There are 6 shots here.
 reloads for 300 ultra-300-rum-group.jpg

Last edited by haugenna; 07-30-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:38 AM
bigcountry

Holy Cow, thats haulin Haug. Good job.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Spike

Default primers

all i am able to find right now is bench rest primers at this time will this hurt my loading for my 300 rum .
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

That's too bad big-dog, primers in central PA are actually starting to show up and most brands and types are available these days... First off, there's no need for that type of power to kill any deer, it's a macho thing...true there's no such thing as "to dead" also, but you just don't need that much velocity to kill a poor whitetail.. I'd reduce the load to around 2990-3000 fps and enjoy shooting it alittle..the .300 Ultra's that I've shot were all full power loads and after 3 shots off the bench you can keep that thing is all I thought... true, it'll kill em all right but so will a slightly less powerful one also.......
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurel
That's too bad big-dog, primers in central PA are actually starting to show up and most brands and types are available these days... First off, there's no need for that type of power to kill any deer, it's a macho thing...true there's no such thing as "to dead" also, but you just don't need that much velocity to kill a poor whitetail.. I'd reduce the load to around 2990-3000 fps and enjoy shooting it alittle..the .300 Ultra's that I've shot were all full power loads and after 3 shots off the bench you can keep that thing is all I thought... true, it'll kill em all right but so will a slightly less powerful one also.......

Actually a gun period is way overkill for deer. I suggest everyone uses guns for target and use longbows that they make like I do. I am just saying

Quick Reply: reloads for 300 ultra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.