Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Expanding the "new brass" thead >

Expanding the "new brass" thead

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Expanding the "new brass" thead

Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Expanding the "new brass" thead

Rather than wasting a whole bunch ofbullets on the very first shot of your brand new brassgetting out dents etc... what other methods do you use to "fire form" your brand new brass before you actually start working on load development?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Expanding the "new brass" thead

Although I'd prefer not to I have made up brass for my .260 Remington using .243. In order to get the correct headspace and provide for excellent fireforming loads I use this process. Run the new.243 brass thru a 7-08 size die justo get the neck expanded, run that brass into my .260 size die to get that small false shoulder, slight crush fit in my guns chamber. Load at a known near max level and go hunting. These have proven as accurate as standard fired brass handloads.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:31 PM

If you have been reloading for more than a few years you should have some bullets that you just don't like for one reason or another. These would get the nod for fire forming duties, providing they are the right diameter.
I have used wax to plug and shoot .22 rim fire shells which I pulled the bullets from, but I've never tried it with centerfire before. I guess it could work but I can't say for sure.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

RR, I thinkI like your method better than filling the case with completely with bullseye. That's a whole lot of wasted powder.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

small charge of unique, fill case with cornmeal, plug with a piece of paper towl, keep muzzle pointed downhill and fire away, if you have a brake take it off, watch the barrel heat. I've made hundreds of cases for wildcats in this manner.
RR
The man knows what he is talking about.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

so ya give it a try?
just keep muzzle pointed slightly down, if you raise it up pull the bolt and run a brush through to clean the burnt meal out of your chamber, or it will dimple your brass.
RR
I had to experiment a bit. Your the one who told me how to do it about 4 years or more ago. I started out with 5 gr or unique, and moved up. I was using paper towels only and that caused some issues. I tried wax, and that sucked. I wanted something little more size than corn meal.

I actually reached a point where I ruined a case by it bulging for some reason toward the rim. So it takes some experiementation.