Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

opening up dies

Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default opening up dies

Has any one changed the throat size on your dies for another size, 243 to 257. Rich
Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: opening up dies

As I said in another forum machining dies is not difficult. Getting the correct size to end up with a finished case neck that allows for tension and bullet pull will be tricky.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 AM

why?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Spike

RWK, dies are a finished product, to change the die configurationcan dull your tools, die blanksare available from RCBS for $28.00 - or - a few if you have a reamers. Universal Improved/Wildcat dies have been made for over 40 years, I should say the makers of universal dies did not make it to the INTERNET.

To make sure I understand the question, the throat is part of the chamber, the die controls the dimensions of the case including the neck diameter inside and out, to increase the neckdiameter of the sizing die only, a reamer is required, make the best deal you can, some consider the reamer expensive, and if considering a chamber reamer, the die must allow the reamer to center on the pilot end of the reamer, meaning the reamer must pass through the die that is if the reamer will remove the material.

Dies are available for necked-up/necked-up versions of a parent cartridge. I went to the Dallas Market Hall gun show week before lastlooking for anything 280 Remington, 7MM and 338, I got lucky, I found a 3 dieset of 338 Winchester Mag dies(RCBS) with a neck sizer (C&H) and a 2 die setfor280 Remington (C&H), both setsfor $25.00, the neck sizer would cost that much, the point is, a set of dies for a rifle I chambereddoes not exist, rather than grind, cut or ream the dies with tools I do not have or can not afford to dull and or brake, I will cut the dies with a cut off saw, then butt grind them, the 338 Winchester Mag neck sizer die will be left as it is, the 280 Remington die will be cut offabove the shoulderand ground to allow it to be used as a sizer die forcases usedwith a chamber similar to the 338/06, the neck portion of the 280 die will not be used, just opened and polished. For what I spent, I still have a 280 Seater die and a 2 die set for the 338 Winchester Mag, grinding a die, I have an in-line, angle and butt grinder with coolant to keep the the dust down and metal cool.

F. Guffey
Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Spike

RWK, we are just discussing the possibility, the 243 Winchester is shorter from the head of the case to the shoulder by .168 thousands than the 257 Roberts, meaning the 257 Roberts is a necked down 7X57 Mauser, the 243 Winchester is the same length from the head to shoulder as the 308 Winchester and the 7MM/08, there has to be a 257/08 out there somewhere, could be expensive, so are the tools that could be required to alter the die.

F, Guffey
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM
bigcountry

I have modified the bottom of dies so that headspace has matched my rifle before. But dies are too cheap to be opening them up at the neck.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why ? When I needed dies for a wildcat round (6mm 30-30 Imp.) I discovered that the lead time to get them was 12 weeks and they cost $140. By purchasing a set of .243 Win dies...Lee RGB dies at $12 a set and a set of cheap 7-30 Waters dies for about the same money. I could modify the seater in one and the sizer from both to get a set of working accurate dies for about $25 and a lead time of a week. By using dies that already have been cut you can use their precut dimensions to your advantage and save a lot of work. That my friend is why...........

Handloading dies are only case hardened and machining is easy once that surface is cut. I did not re-harden the modified dies because for the very small amount of sizing they do it will never be necessary. Handloaded ammo from this gun using these dies will shoot very very small groups. It is a nightmare for prairie dogs out to 350 yds.

RWK - you need .25 Souper dies.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am quite sure that with a set of 25-06 Lee RGB dies and a .308 size die you could easily come up with a working set of dies....but thats just me.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Spike

Big Country, grinding the bottom of the die is not necessary, RCBS etc., use this method to make custom dies for custom chambers, I short chamber rifles, load for them then go to the range and determine if I want to finish the chamber or use another barrel, all with one set of dies, the purpose for grinding the top off was for sizing a case for a chamber that does not exist in 338, to have a die made in that configuration would cost more than I have in the rifle and to ream a die blank ($28.00)would mean reducing the the neck portion of the reamer, at $100.00 plus to replace a chamber reamer, I had rather dedicate a sizing die for that purpose. I know I could reducethe diameter of the chamber reamer and still ream a chamber if I acquire a reamer for cutting the neck in the chamber.

I size cases with one set of dies from-.016 below a go-gage to infinity.

Grinding the top of a shell holder is not necessary but it is done, Redding competition shell holders are not necessary but if you have them, use them.

F. Guffey
Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: fguffey

Big Country, grinding the bottom of the die is not necessary, RCBS etc., use this method to make custom dies for custom chambers, I short chamber rifles, load for them then go to the range and determine if I want to finish the chamber or use another barrel, all with one set of dies, the purpose for grinding the top off was for sizing a case for a chamber that does not exist in 338, to have a die made in that configuration would cost more than I have in the rifle and to ream a die blank ($28.00)would mean reducing the the neck portion of the reamer, at $100.00 plus to replace a chamber reamer, I had rather dedicate a sizing die for that purpose. I know I could reducethe diameter of the chamber reamer and still ream a chamber if I acquire a reamer for cutting the neck in the chamber.

I size cases with one set of dies from-.016 below a go-gage to infinity.

Grinding the top of a shell holder is not necessary but it is done, Redding competition shell holders are not necessary but if you have them, use them.

F. Guffey
Well one, I was not talking about a belted cartridge, and two, I do not barrel guns.

so you suggesting everyone on here invest in lathes???? Not sure why you are replying to me.

Quick Reply: opening up dies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.