Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Match Grade hunting bullets? >

Match Grade hunting bullets?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Match Grade hunting bullets?

Old 09-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Match Grade hunting bullets?

I don't reload, but I have noticed, how much variance a hunting bullet has from another simply by looking closely at the bullet, usually the tips of them.

Lead cores etc...are all different usually, similar, but different.
Shouldn't all bullets be identical? maybe some variance doesn't make much of a different on flight, but I would think a little variance on a bullet would make a HUGE difference on bullet flight and accuracy.

I've shot everything from noslers, a frames, core lokts, all sorts, never any match grade target ammo, but I assume thats just what match great is, much more identical bullets, in shape, and weight.

So my question, who makes idential hunting bullets?

Old 09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Match Grade hunting bullets?

Berger.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I don't reload, but I have noticed, how much variance a hunting bullet has from another simply by looking closely at the bullet, usually the tips of them.

Lead cores etc...are all different usually, similar, but different.
Shouldn't all bullets be identical? maybe some variance doesn't make much of a different on flight, but I would think a little variance on a bullet would make a HUGE difference on bullet flight and accuracy.

I've shot everything from noslers, a frames, core lokts, all sorts, never any match grade target ammo, but I assume thats just what match great is, much more identical bullets, in shape, and weight.

So my question, who makes idential hunting bullets?

Certainly all bullets should be as alike as one can make them. I have found thatSierra hunting bullets are pretty uniform, as are the Nosler Ballistic Tip and Accubond types. In addition, although there may be more variation between bullets, the Nosler Partition Jacket bullets have always shot quite well for me, although I have heardthat these don't work as well for some people as they have for me.....

Now, to address one of your ideas: Differences in bullets don't make as large a diffference in accuracy as you might imagine. For example, at least one writer I know of experimented with this idea by deforming the lead tips of a bunch of bullets (such as happens to sharp lead-tipped bullets in rifle magazines). He then loaded and fired them, along with "undamaged" bullets from the same box. Contrary to his expectations, there was no statistically significantdifference in the accuracy of the two batches. However,when the BASES of bullets are altered, such as by a dent, etc., the accuracy is very noticeably less!

So,point variationsare not too significant, but deformation of the base of a bullet can have a very detrimental effect on how it flies.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that Sierra Gamekings are very consistent in not only appearance but shootability. They are my first choice and have proven to be very accurate out to 500 yds. in several of my rifles. I would consider them 'match grade hunting bullets'.

I have shot A Maxs, Match Kings and didn't find them to be more accurate in my rifles than Sierras GKs. Never tried Bergers.

In the tests I have seen over the years bullettip deformation doesn't effect accuracy until you extend the range out beyond 200 yds. or so. Don't know as I have never experiemented myself. Nowadays plastic tipped bullets being the craze, I believe they are much more identical than they ever have been.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:33 PM

I have also found Sierra Gamekings to be consistently more accurate than the other bullets I have tried, but not by much. However, even though the Sierra's were a bit more accurate, I settled on Speer Hot-Cor's as my go-to hunting load because I think they are a bit tougher than the Sierra's.

firstshot
--------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 100 yard groups below are the result of the 180gr ballistic tip fired out of my 300ultramag.I don't see the need for a more accurate hunting bullet.If you can consistently shoot better than this,perhaps you can make use of a a match grade bullet.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW! Nice shooting Stubble! What are the specs on the rifle?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The rifle is built on a lapped and trued stainless 700 action,with a fluted Gaillard 26" medium varmint barrel,pillar bedded into a mcmillan BDL stock.A sako extractor is installed,and the trigger is stock,adjusted to 44oz.The rifle weighs about 10lbs with a 3x10x42 swarovski scope mounted on a leupold base and rings.180 gr ballistic tips shoot sub 1/2moa at 3340fps,and the 180gr tsx does 5/8moa at 3380fps.I have taken nine elk and two moose with the rifle.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

The rifle is built on a lapped and trued stainless 700 action,with a fluted Gaillard 26" medium varmint barrel,pillar bedded into a mcmillan BDL stock.A sako extractor is installed,and the trigger is stock,adjusted to 44oz.The rifle weighs about 10lbs with a 3x10x42 swarovski scope mounted on a leupold base and rings.180 gr ballistic tips shoot sub 1/2moa at 3340fps,and the 180gr tsx does 5/8moa at 3380fps.I have taken nine elk and two moose with the rifle.
Very nice. But I've never heard of that barrel, are they new?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ted Gaillard is a barrel maker in Saskatchewan Canada.He has been around for many years,but is not well known outside of Canada.

http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/Gaillard.html

Quick Reply: Match Grade hunting bullets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.