Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 resize hunting cases >

resize hunting cases

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

resize hunting cases

Old 03-18-2003, 08:02 PM

Default resize hunting cases

I read in some of the loading manuals that all hunting ammo should be full sized. Why is this needed? I shoot a 30-06 bolt gun and don' t see the point in full resizing all of my hunting loads.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: resize hunting cases

I guess they intend the ammo to be able to be used any rifle, not just your own.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I would full size my hunting loads is if I was after dangerous game. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:09 AM

As long as you run all your loads through the chamber to make sure they will work through the action prior to going hunting there is no need to full length resize.

The reason some encourage full length resizing is so you don' t get in the field and try to chamber a load and it won' t chamber in your rifle.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with noway. I run all my cases to be used for hunting ammo through the chamber after they are ready to be loaded, and then, when zeroing at the range where I can keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, I test the loaded ammo by running it throught the rifle again. Since I now mostly hunt with a Ruger No.1, this can be done by simply dropping the cartridge into the chamber to see if it goes in just by gravity. If it does, then just by elevating the muzzle, the cartridge will drop out again without having to use the extractor or to close the breechblock.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

DG:

I picked up this info. from somewhere I don' t remember where. I haven' t used it because I have been able to locate neck-sizer dies for the calibers I have. Good luck.

NOTE: Any full-length resizing die will neck-size if you set it back about 0.060" from touching the shell holder with the press in the full " up" position.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-28-2003, 08:50 AM

To neck size you back the die off from bumping the press a turn or so. I still lube my cases before knocking the primers out and neck sizing but it doesn' t resize the whole shell. I put them down just far enough to reliable knock out the primer.

Each time you shoot without full length resizing the brass gradually gets tighter in the chamber with each firing, usually about 4 to 6 firings it gets so tight you need to full length resize it or the bolt gets hard to close. Don' t forget to trim your brass to correct OAL each time after knocking out the primers and neck sizing.

When you reach the point that the bolt gets hard to close on your neck sized brass then full length resize and start over, or toss the brass and start over with a new lot.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I set my dies to neck size by leaving the thickness of a penny between the bottom of the die and the shell holder.

Quick Reply: resize hunting cases

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.