) and for some reason, I can't find any decent 180 grain bullets around here for my 06', so I'm wondering if reloading may be my best bet. I can get one of these kits cheap ($15), and since the gun is second hand, I know the loads..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Classic Lee Loader >

Classic Lee Loader

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Classic Lee Loader

Old 08-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Classic Lee Loader

Well, I have a bull moose tag this fall () and for some reason, I can't find any decent 180 grain bullets around here for my 06', so I'm wondering if reloading may be my best bet. I can get one of these kits cheap ($15), and since the gun is second hand, I know the loads the rifle likes. I know I might not save money (it'll probably be more actually), but I would definetly feel more confident with a Nosler Partition over a cheap-o Winchester. I'm not planning on shooting a whole lot, maybe 15-20 rounds a year. I've read that this is good for a beginner reloader to get their feet wet, but to invest in a powder scale. What do you think?

Cory
Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Classic Lee Loader

Put the $15 bucks towards bullets or powder or something other than the Lee.Make a friend with a good press and learn from him. If that isn't an option order some good ammo and put the 15 bucks towards that. You'll be better of that way.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried looking online for ammunition.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65547-5.html
Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in Canada...and shipping for ammo is ridiculous here
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: KonaBoy

I'm in Canada...and shipping for ammo is ridiculous here
Have you tried Ellwood Epps Sporting Goods, in Orillia? 705-689-5333

Nice folks, i've always enjoyed stopping in to see them when i'm in that area...

DM
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM

I started reloading about a hundred years ago with a Lee Loader. I have about a zillion dollars invested in reloading stuff now, but I still use the Lee Loaders once in a while just for fun. I have them in .357, .270, 3006, and 375HNH. The 375 was my reason to start loading on the first place, when I bought that rifle I couldn't afford factory ammo, much less find it in eastern Iowa. Used carefully, the Lee Loader can make some very accurate ammo.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 AM

Oh, by the way, I would add Richards to your list : )
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

KonaBoy

I have used those "classic" Lee Loaders for years - still have several of them...but not much any longer - gone to a regular press.

The "classic" will work I think I would suggest that you practice bit - load some non-counters and go shoot em.

Even the powder dipper will work if you are not to demanding on accuracy @ long ranges, but of course a scale and measured loads would be a lot better. Just make sure that you dip the same way each time - use a table knife to cut the powder off the top of the dipper for uniformity.

Where are you in Canada?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM

The Lee Loader is likely the only good thing Lee ever produced, and if only for the basic principle of the thing.

Every reloader worth his salt should haveone stashed away for each chambering he reloads...

Just in case a Rainy Day comes along............
Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

The Lee Loader is likely the only good thing Lee ever produced, and if only for the basic principle of the thing.

Every reloader worth his salt should haveone stashed away for each chambering he reloads...

Just in case a Rainy Day comes along............
I guess i'm not worth my salt then, because i'd have to have about 60 of them, and i don't...

They work, but have a lot of limitations... I started out withone in the 60's but out grew it fast!

DM

Quick Reply: Classic Lee Loader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.