Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Just realized...... >

Just realized......

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Just realized......

Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 AM

Default Just realized......

Was sizing some Lapua 30-06's last night as I'm in the middle of load R&D with 150 TSX's and all of a sudden my press linkage falls apart and stuff is all to hell on the floor...

One of the E clips must have broken or popped off and the pin backed out. In any case finding the E clip on the floor, or where ever it went to was hopeless so I figured I'd just hit up maintenance here at work for a replacement, no big deal.

Well to round off the evening last night I figured as long as the thing was partially apart I would take it all apart and clean it up. Over the years I've kept it lubed but never really took it apart and cleaned it. The over the years lube jobs left a build up of old oils at every joint, dust and spent primer debris was built up in all the nooks and crannies of the press...things in general were in a sad state.

Having had this press since 1982 it was more than deserving of a little extra TLC, so it got it last night. I degreased every part of it anddug all the junk out of all the hidden places and wondered why I couldn't get this area of the front part of the "O" clean. I scrubbed on it for several minutes with a rag soaked with alcohol but I just couldn't get off what I thought was dirt/grime.

Then it dawned on me it wasthe area that my lefthand rubs against when I place a shell in the shell holder/bullet in the shell.I had worn the paint down to bare metal. Sitting there with that realization my memory drifted back over the years of using this press and all the rifles I had loaded for with it. It's been an old friend through a lot of hunting, load development,plinking and semi formal silly wet shootin'......

Wilst recalling all the good times this press has provided meI began inspecting other parts, mostly to see what the age/use has doneto them. Lot's of wear, chipped paint, shined up spots....thehandle ballis worn to a polish and the "bluing" on the handle rod has been worn through under the ball. I discovered the ram is not tight" in the bore anymore so I measured both and found things had wornbetween 5 to 8 thousandths over the years despite the religous lubing. My old friend has simplyreached the end.

It's one of those things, despite being "worn out", I can't get rid of. It's just been on my benches too long. And yes it is benches not bench. I can recall at least 5 different benches it's been mounted to. I'll put it back together tonight, lube it up again,and finish doing this current load development. I'll relegate the old thing to loading pistol rounds for the .45LC and the .44 Special...but it's days as my rifle press are nearly over. It's been a good run with a good tool.

Now, where are my supply catalogs, I need to shop for a new press................
Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Just realized......

1892 eh.
I think you got very good service out of that press--116 years.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 AM

1982, dyslexic this morning I'd guess.......
Old 08-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Some time ago I had to retire my old Pacific 3-ram press for just the same reasons you mentioned. I bought it used somewhere around 1970. Talk about service!! Countless rounds thru dozens of dies. But, like you, I can't bring myself to part with it. It's sitting out in the garage on a workbench looking sad. Kinda like deserting an old friend you had so many good times with... I wouldn't sell it to anyone because it's worn out, but I'll be darned if the garbage man is gonna haul it off.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 PM

My boys know my stuff is theirs when I'm gone, it's 'tween them to divvy it up fair and I know they each gonna want something the other has. This old press still has a lot of life in it building pistol loads and that's fine as I've never owned a progressive. Hopefully when all my gear is there for them to fight over, it'll still be doing that duty.

Gonna take this opportunity to upgrade to something "better" though I could still buy the exact same rig and someonewill come out just fine 26 years down the road. I might just do that, but then again.........
Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Rock Chucker i learned on, that my dad bought who knows when. I started helping when i was 5 in 82. He had owned it for a couple years before that. It has a few bald spots too.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey PA - I have an old Pacific press too. I've been loading with it since 1965. And it too has been mounted on several different benches. I would hate to think as to how many times that ram has gone up and down. I often thought about getting a RCBS Rockchucker press but this old press seems to have been with me forever.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko....I replaced the Pacific with a Rockchucker. Took me a little while to get into a new "hand motion" orientation, but it's a great press. I removed the shellholder retainer and replaced it with a rubber "O" ring.
The rams on the old Pacific were showing wear and were getting some slop. Good old girl, but just got worn out. Like RL said, I may relegate it to handgun rounds work if it can handle that OK....
Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Wow,just last night while cranking out some loads to shoot today, I looked down at the linkages on my 1977 Rockchucker and wondered how many rounds that the pressand I havemade. I have several different press's even progressivesbut I probably use it the most. Most of my stuff is RCBS, I just took a head count on my dies...... 33 are RCBS, 5 Redding, 1 Hornady, 2 Forester and 5 Lee.