Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

ttsx barnes

Old 08-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ttsx barnes

I've had good luck with the TSX.

My $.02:

The tsx will give good weight retention, allowing you to use a lighter bullet, allowing more speed, which gives better expansion. Expansion should not be an issue even with the regular tsx.

The tipped tsx is only marginally better than the regular tsx as far as ballistic coefficient. If you need ballistic coefficient, neither type is impressive.

Bottom line, if you are starting from scratch, try the tipped tsx, why not? If you already have a good load, there isn't much reason to switch.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have read a couple of articles about the bullet on the Long Range web site. The consensus over there is that the new bullet design was made so that there would be less pressure, which would allow the bullet to be driven at a higher velocity. They surmined that less bearing surface meant less heat and pressure.

I am just wondering how many T's and S's next year's new and improved bullet will have?? Or how much more they will cost?? Crertainly those barrel bands cost considerably more to manufacture, so certainly the bullets are worthy of the higher cost?? Tom.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 AM

You are talking about the upgrade from the "X" to the "TSX" per less pressure, ect.

Old news.......

The tipped TSX is supposed to provide a better flight, as is the hope of all tipped bullet designs.

Only really realized until after you get out to extreme long range..........
Old 08-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

How long is long though especially when it comes to hunting? Would there be any advantages gained ifthese are utilized for strictly hunting purposes? Obviouslyif someone was shooting competitively one could see an advantage however a 500 + yd shot in competition is quite a different animal than a 500 yd shot under hunting conditions. I'm sure it is a great bullet nonetheless.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the biggest Barnes fan out there and was the first to get the XLCs and the Triple Shocks. However, I can't see the big advantage of this newest bullet over the TSX. I'm going to stick with the TSX for as long as they're around.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM

I have 150gr TSX for the 30-06 savage pushing them 2950fps....no issues with accuracy or fouling of my barrel. We do moly coat them along with all our bullets. Have yet to recover one from an animal as always end up with nice hole going in and nice hole going out.
Bought some 180gr for my ultra mag.....should work just as good