Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 When is it clean? >

When is it clean?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

When is it clean?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Default When is it clean?

Sorry for all the post in a short time, but here is another. Wanted to do this new savage "right" so I asked the guy at the shop what to clean with, he wants me to use Hopps 9. Well it seems like there is never no end to getting a clean patch in and back out still clean. I used a little sweets at first, but he dislikes it, said it will ruin a barrel. So I have tried not to use it. Cleaned my gun to night with the hopps and had it about as good as it will do with it, about thirty patches and fifteen minuets worth of brushing. So I decide to break out the Sweets and by doing it to there instructions had to do it six times before the patches would not come out blue. I would soak a couple patches and run them down the barrel, wait one minuet and then push out. Would follow that up with regular lube cleaner to get the sweets out, did not want to leave a barrel coated for a long time with sweets. But like above it took six times with this cycle before I had clean patches, then with hopps, butches bore shine, and Kroil (sp) I had patches coming out as clean as they went in, just to see what they did.

Two questions....

How clean does it have to be?

And is Sweets bad for your gun if used properly? I know leaving in your bore is bad, but if used right is it ok and or good?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: When is it clean?

Sweets is awesome. Anyone that would say it would ruin your barrel and use Hoppes9, is a many I would steer clear of from now on.

Saying all that, I use wipeout these days only. Or CR-10. Or montana extreme. All do the same thing.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

If you are using a brass brush and solvent,you are getting blue from them.
As the barrel breaks in,it will clean quicker.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

First I do not use bullets that have the pure cooper jackets, I use only gliuding mental jacketed bullets. I have never had any copper fouling issues (never). I just use hoppies #9 nitro and a good gun oil for cleaning. And I find that the oil does work as a cleaning solvent to. I spend say 5-10 minutes to clean a gun with a patch and jag and thats it.

There are a lot of good solvents, but if you do not shoot pure copper jacketed bullets you will never need the harsh solvents which manycontain amonia. And some copper in the bore is good for accuacy. So why remove all of it if it takes say 6-12 shoots to get back to accuracy after such an hard cleaning?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a lot of good solvents, but if you do not shoot pure copper jacketed bullets you will never need the harsh solvents which manycontain amonia. And some copper in the bore is good for accuacy. So why remove all of it if it takes say 6-12 shoots to get back to accuracy after such an hard cleaning?
I have had heavy fouling in some guns while using bullets with gilding metal jackets.It would have taken days to remove the copper with Hoppes #9.Sweets and cr-10 will not harm a barrel if used correctly,and remove the copper in minutes.Some guns do require a few fouling shots to shoot most accurately,but some do not.I find that my match grade aftermarket barrels generally shoot just as well from a clean barrel as they do after a few fouling shots.

I use only gliuding mental jacketed bullets
Do they produce mental fouling?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have nine center fire rifles most are only 10-20 years old but two are very old a 1903A1 and a late 20's model 14. Calibers are 224/277/308/358 makes are Remington, Ruger, Marlin, Springfield and Shilen match grade barrels on two. I don't have any ultra velocity guns either.

Like I said I never have had any copper folwing issues ever. Call this limited but I do not nor does any one I know that doesn't shoot pure copper jacketed bullets. So are you OK with that?

So If you do not have a problem why use something like sweets? The poster didn't say he had a bad copper problem so I gave him a simple answer to a simple question.And yes you can spend far to much time cleaning a gun that doesn't really require it.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

So If you do not have a problem why use something like sweets?
Unless you are using coated bullets like the Barnes xlc,some fouling will be deposited on the barrel whether you shoot a 30-06,or a 30-378.The standard Hoppes #9 will not remove all of this fouling,and as a result this fouling will build up,and over time this copper will start to effect accuracy.I have heard several people complain that their barrels were shot out because the accuracy was falling off ,despite regular cleanings with a regular powder solvent like Hoppes #9.However,once sweets or cr-10 was used in these guns(in some cases,it took hours of repeated applications because the fouling was so bad),the accuracy miraculously improved.According to them ,these people didn't have problems with copper fouling either.The use of sweets or cr-10 on a regular basis will remove this copper and prevent it from accumulating and leading to problems later on.It's a lot easier to prevent a build up of fouling by using a little sweets each time you clean the barrel,than to let it build up then spend a great deal of time and effort trying to remove it later.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stubblejumber hit the nail on the head, regular old Hoppes # 9 is for powder fouling, not for copper removal. The fouling indication you were getting with the sweets was probably from you jag and brushes. I use Hoppes to soak the bore, 10 passes with a bronze brush to remove powder fouling, then run several patches until clean. Then I switch to Shooter's Choice (my preference) and a nylon brush until no sign of copper fouling is present. I then use the Hoppes to neutralize whatever copper solvent was left in the bore and apply a coat of oil.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 PM

Thanks guys! you all answeredgreat. After learning of sweets and seeing the results of it I understand copper fouling, I think. Learning center fire shooting has been a eye opener. I would hate to see whatsweets would look like if ran down my old 22 mag!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

So If you do not have a problem why use something like sweets?
Unless you are using coated bullets like the Barnes xlc,some fouling will be deposited on the barrel whether you shoot a 30-06,or a 30-378.The standard Hoppes #9 will not remove all of this fouling,and as a result this fouling will build up,and over time this copper will start to effect accuracy.I have heard several people complain that their barrels were shot out because the accuracy was falling off ,despite regular cleanings with a regular powder solvent like Hoppes #9.However,once sweets or cr-10 was used in these guns(in some cases,it took hours of repeated applications because the fouling was so bad),the accuracy miraculously improved.According to them ,these people didn't have problems with copper fouling either.The use of sweets or cr-10 on a regular basis will remove this copper and prevent it from accumulating and leading to problems later on.It's a lot easier to prevent a build up of fouling by using a little sweets each time you clean the barrel,than to let it build up then spend a great deal of time and effort trying to remove it later.
I have to agree, this has been my experience as well.

Quick Reply: When is it clean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.