Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Mystery Accuracy Issue >

Mystery Accuracy Issue

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Mystery Accuracy Issue

Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 AM

Default RE: Mystery Accuracy Issue

ORIGINAL: Solitary Man

I think you're going to be limited by that Ruger barrel. When top quality factory barrels are the topic of discussion, Ruger is seldom mentioned.
Never met a Ruger barrel I couldn't make shoot..........
Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

How floated is floated?

A dollar bill or two?

You might be better off with a nueutral'ishpressure point..............
I've never tried more than one dollar bill but it goes all the way back to the action. Should I try more?

When I bought my Ruger it had a pressure point right at the forend of the stock where it meets the barrel. It was semi floated from there back. I'm assuming your telling me to shove somthing between the barrel and stock to form a pressure point. If so what should I use?

If not please explain further. BTW - I have the laminated stock that looks like nice wood grain.

Also does this sound like a case where playing with action screws might help?

Tom
Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok another bone to throw into the mix. This past weekend I started on new brass and full length sized the brass instead of neck sizing it. I shot a five shot group with the Accubonds that was maybe 1.25". Get rid of one bullet and the four shot group measured 3/4". Get rid of one more and a three shot group measured .5".

So I've shot at least 4 five shot groups with the Accubonds all which had the first two touching or right next to each other and the next 3 spraying into a 2" or greater circle.

So is this new found accuracy the new brass or is it the neck sizing? Could it be that my older brass is cut down a little shorter?

What is going on here?

Tom
Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Ok another bone to throw into the mix. This past weekend I started on new brass and full length sized the brass instead of neck sizing it. I shot a five shot group with the Accubonds that was maybe 1.25". Get rid of one bullet and the four shot group measured 3/4". Get rid of one more and a three shot group measured .5".

So I've shot at least 4 five shot groups with the Accubonds all which had the first two touching or right next to each other and the next 3 spraying into a 2" or greater circle.

So is this new found accuracy the new brass or is it the neck sizing? Could it be that my older brass is cut down a little shorter?

What is going on here?

Tom
My bet is your ammo is not straight.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before I leave to Canada in a few weeks I'm going to load up a batch of reloads with the coellet die and see if there is runout (bullet isn't straight). I'm going to ask a dumb question: How can the bullet not be straight if it's in the neck of the brass? Isn't the brass automatically straight since I ran it throught the neck die?

RR,

What is work hardend?

To anyone How do I seat a bullet to a consistent depth if you guys are telling me that the bullets are all slightly different? I remember someone telling me to use a guage of some kind but how do you know that all the bullets will fit in the magazine?

Thanks

Tom
Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 ruger rifles that i load for .300 win mag, 30-06, and 25-06. I have never had any accuracy problems with them. In my .300 i use RL22 with both 165 and 180gr accubonds, both loadsshoot MAO.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gregrn43
In my .300 i use RL22 with both 165 and 180gr accubonds, both loadsshoot MAO.
Don't tell the Chinese!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Solitary,

Good one!

Tom
Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couldn't resist.

Quick Reply: Mystery Accuracy Issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.