Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Mystery Accuracy Issue >

Mystery Accuracy Issue

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Mystery Accuracy Issue

Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 AM

Default RE: Mystery Accuracy Issue

Setting up a dummy cartridge has always worked for me...to return to the same depth setting for a particular bullet.

Thread the seater stem up out of the way, place the dummy in the shell holder,run the ram up, screw the seater stem down until it has firm contact with the bullet in the dummy round, lock the stem down with the lock nut....then rock on.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I need to find an experienced reloader in my area. I think I could learn a lot more with hands on training.

Tom
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried any Alliant Powders RL-19, RL-22, RL-25? Good luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:41 AM

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Thanks guys. I need to find an experienced reloader in my area. I think I could learn a lot more with hands on training.

Tom
You can learn a lot, from a book..............
Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I tried RL 22. It worked decent but only when loaded extremely hot. I was over the max load by 1.5 grains to get about 1.5" of accuracy. Not very fun to shoot a 300 WM like that. It was making me flinch a bit. First time I felt that way with a rifle.

As for reading the only book I have is the Lyman reloading manual. Would you suggest another book?

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-26-2008, 08:11 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

Tom, it is a 300 win mag, its sposed to kick, but your most accurate load will be in the upper area of pressures close to max pressure. my 7mm STW shoots the best at 6 gr over max published load.
As far as shooting bears, they're not hard to kill, can't take a good hit as well as a deer, my largest bear fell to a 7mm-08 and a 120 gr hornady, have saw dozens killed with a 243. all a 180 gr premieum bullet will do is make another hole for the taxidermist to sew up.
RR
But STW loads of today are quite weak compared to Laynes Loads. I bought a back issue of handloader from80 I think with Laynes original loads. He is loading 6gr H1000 over what they publish today for a 160gr partition.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many different powders have you tried?Have you tried any other weight of bullet?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the fact that your brass is a little short will have much of an effect on accuracy. I suggest you try some 200-grain bullets. For example, the 200 grain Sierra PSPBT and the 200-grain Nosler Partition have always shot well for me in both the .30/'06 and the .308 Norma Magnum......
Old 07-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I think I figured out a big factor in the accuracy issue that I've been having. My powder scale, Lyman 1000 - Balance style, is not measuring consistently. I can't seem to figure out what is going on with it but I will measure a shot put it in the case, pour it back into the pan and it will not weigh the same. I'm so disappointed right now because I've spent a lot of time and money trying to find a load.

So what type of scale should I be looking for? I had a chepo lyman electronic scale and it was way off! I'm definetly on a budget right now so take that into consideration.

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-31-2008, 04:52 PM
bigcountry

Sometimes all the powder won't come back out of a case. Have you tried pouring into something else and then back?

Also, keep metal way from teh scale. Some like the 5-0-5, have magnets near the gage to stabilize and will mess up measurements.

Quick Reply: Mystery Accuracy Issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.