Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Which is better nickel or brass cases? >

Which is better nickel or brass cases?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which is better nickel or brass cases?

Old 02-19-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Which is better nickel or brass cases?

Hello everyone,

I am ready to get some cases for reloading and I have a choice of nickel or brass cases. Which is the best as far as durability etc. I also have a choice of manufactures Norma, Winchester or Remington. What manufacture do you like best?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2003, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Which is better nickel or brass cases?

The Norma brass is alot more consistent in capacity and dimension. I personally like non plated brass. I think it lasts longer, and its easier to resize.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:00 PM

i can' t say about the nickel cause i' ve only used brass, so i' d have to go with brass.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:10 PM

I personally prefer nickel plated. I have never had a problem with it. I have had problems with brass in that they will tarnish, rust or whatever (cannot think of the word ATM). If your hands sweat at all you should go with nickel plated. To me nickel plated looks cleaner when it is cleaned. Anyway, both will work fine, just personal opinion.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:31 PM

I have a strong perference for standard brass over nickel plated. Nickel plated brass tends to be more brittle than regular brass and it tends to have the necks split earlier than standard brass too.

As far as the manufacturers go, Norma has better QC than the others you mentioned; however, I have found their brass to be a bit softer than some of the others. I usually go with Winchester brass
Old 02-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has been said that nickle brass flakes, and these nickled flakes can damage your dies, so I use brass brass. I use Remington, or Norma brass when I can afford it. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:42 PM

i like plain brass more but i will use either. the plain brass doesnt have flakes, not that im worried about the dies but i like my brass to look uniform
Old 02-20-2003, 07:00 AM
Spike

I tried the nickle for my 30:06 and it worked well until I had to trim and then the nickle flaked at the mouth. Gone back to brass.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never had any luck with nickel cases,I always buy " BRASS" ...
Old 02-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Which is better nickel or brass cases?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.