Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Questions I can't find in books >

Questions I can't find in books

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Questions I can't find in books

Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Questions I can't find in books

Man of a thousand questions here again. Whileresizing another batch I came up with these.
1. I'm loading two 30-06s, one bolt action, one semi auto, is it o.k. to mix brass as long as I resize and trim to length each time? Or should I keep seperate brass for each?

2. When you buy new brass do you resize them first???

3.Are you supssoed to clean your resizing die from time to time, withsome kind of degreaser or brake cleaner etc...

4.Is it possible to chamfer too much after case trimming? I put my brass in a cordless drill and use the Lee trimming tool which bottoms out against the shell holder, also usingLee Chamfer tool.

5. And FINALLY.I noticeda small dimple on 3 out of 100 casing on my resized brass directly below the shoulder. Is this an example of too muchcase lube. I've now switched to OneShot spray lube.

Thanks a Gazillion!! I truly appreciate your time and willingness to help!
Clay
Old 03-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions I can't find in books

Ridge Runner's got you pretty well covered...As far as resizing for two guns, if they cycle OK for you, that's good. Sometimes autoloaders are a little picky about resizing and may want a small base resizer die.
With the chamfering, only do enough to remove any burrs or roll-over from the trimming. Be careful not to effect a knife-like edge on the case mouth.
Sounds like you're good to go.......
Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should try Imperial sizing wax. You will never buy any other brand of lube again.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

ditto what Ridge Runner said.

new brass you'll want to at least neck size.

it'll stick in the chamber of either gun just as likely, and if it does, you'll need to full length size irregardless
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Nix the idea for Imperial sizing wax. It's a joke compared to simple spray lube. I've got them both and never touch the Imperial. Maybe someday I'll try it for chapped lips.

All I do with new brass is run it into the sizer enough to push the expander ball through the neck to insure the neck is perfectly round. Anything more is a waste of your time and energy. New brass is ready to go.

Yes, you can chamfer too much. Do NOT get crazy with all the reaming, trimming, grinding and other silliness on your brass or you'll just shorten its life and ruin it.

RR is exactly right on the chamfering, a couple of twists is all you ever need.

Shooting the brass in either rifle should be fine so long as you FL resize. Brass coming out of automatic is usually still expanding and sometimes is so swollen it won't go back into the gun that fired it unless you resize,much less any other. But if you full length size, you shouldn't have problem unless one rifle has very small chamber. The guns will let you know if it's OK...real quick.[:-]

I clean my reloading dies about once a year. Be carefull about cleaning and stripping all the lube out of them or you may end up with your dies rusted because there was nothing to protect the steel. I've seen this happen to guys in damp areas who must store their reloading stuff in garages and other semi-outdoor places or have swamp coolers around.

If you're getting grease dents when sizing, that's a sure sign you are either using too much lube or slopping it on there it doesn't belong. Your spray on lube should eliminate this problem.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 AM

I've tried RCBS lube with the pad, Lee lube and Imperial. I use the Imperial now, and the RCBS stuff I put on a brush to clean and lube the inside of case necks. Pavomesa, If you don't want your Imperial, send it to me! I have one can, and an additional can will last a lifetime. (unless I trade my one of my revolvers for a Savage model 12!)
Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: claydee

Man of a thousand questions here again. Whileresizing another batch I came up with these.
1. I'm loading two 30-06s, one bolt action, one semi auto, is it o.k. to mix brass as long as I resize and trim to length each time? Or should I keep seperate brass for each?

2. When you buy new brass do you resize them first???

3.Are you supssoed to clean your resizing die from time to time, withsome kind of degreaser or brake cleaner etc...

4.Is it possible to chamfer too much after case trimming? I put my brass in a cordless drill and use the Lee trimming tool which bottoms out against the shell holder, also usingLee Chamfer tool.

5. And FINALLY.I noticeda small dimple on 3 out of 100 casing on my resized brass directly below the shoulder. Is this an example of too muchcase lube. I've now switched to OneShot spray lube.

Thanks a Gazillion!! I truly appreciate your time and willingness to help!
Clay
Keep the brassseparate for each gun. It might become necessary to completely full-length resize the cases each time they are fired in the semi-auto, but you will be able to use partially-resized cases in the bolt-action as long as they are ONLY fired in that rifle to begin with. This means your semoi-autocases are NOT going to last as long as the ones you use in the bolt action only. But this difference is to be expected.

IF you clean your brass well before running it into the resizing die, it really isn't necessary to clean out the die, as long you don't get anything into the die except case lube. I suppose there will be an accumulation of small brass flecks over time and wiping that out of the die won't hurt anything. I've never done this, however,and have never experienced any problems I could ascribe to not cleaning out the sizing die. However, when seating lubricated lead bullets, I HAVE had bullet lube buildup in the SEATING DIE to the point that I had to remove the seating stem and clean all the bullet lube out of the die before I could finish seating the bullets!!

Yes, it is possible to "over-chamfer" the case mouths after trimming. You cdon't have to make the case mouths sharp enough to shave with!! I only twist my chamfering tool three or four complete revolutions in the case mouth, deburring and putting a very slight bevel on. A couple of twists with the other enddeburs the outside edge sufficiently-just cut off the "wire edge".

I don't FL size new unfired brass, but it may be necessary with some to run them into the die far enough to make the case mouth round! Sometimes, new cases arrive with the mouths somewhat collapsed.

Yes, a dent in the case neck/shoulder after resizing is an indication of too much case lube. But that's better than not enough, which can result in a case stuck in a sizing die.Then the fun begins!!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

just wanted to second the above post and to echo that by cleaning your brass proir to resizing....you will save a lot of wear and tear on your resizing die.