Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 new to reloading >

new to reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

new to reloading

Old 01-21-2008, 08:50 AM

Default new to reloading

i am thinking about getting a 223 and my uncle says he knows how to realod and has the brass and the reloader and the dyes but i want to know is if i wanted to reload fmj's would it be more expensive or cheaper to buy them compared to reloading them
Old 01-21-2008, 11:07 AM

Default RE: new to reloading

Reloading is always cheaper once you get by the initial cost of your equipment and often you can by 55 gr SPs for about the same cost as FMJs. If you Uncle has a lot of once fired military brass, you'll likely have to swage out the primer pocket before loading.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM

It would be much cheaper to reload, but if you intend to hunt coyotes with it as you suggest in the small game forum don't load FMJ's. You will need something that expands or fragments on impact. I load Hornaday 40gr V-Max in my 204 Ruger, and my buddy loads 50gr Sierra Blitz Kings in his 223. We have taken several coyotes this year with a few around 350 yards, and not a one has gone more than 10 steps from where it was hit.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM

In answer to your question-Cheaper,,,You already have the equip.
to do the loading..So it no doubt will be cheaper to reload them..

Now if you had to go out and get all the items you would need to load.
Then no it aint no cheaper..Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 PM

It would be cheaper even if he has to buy his own equipment........assuming he will shoot and use it enough to recoup the cost of tooling up for reloading. Once he has recovered his investment costs, it's all gravy.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would HIGHLY recommend he buys a good reloading manual before anything else. He needs to understand what is being done and why. Although the uncle may be very knowledgeable, he still should have a reference manual to refer to.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 PM

Just my opinion

But with the rising price of bullets and power and primers there is no way that a person starting out could justify reloading their own ammo.

My advice would be the rule of thumb that my dad taught me when I was a boy.

Dad gave me three 20 gauge shotgun shells to go hunting rabbits.
Everytime I came home with a rabbit, he gave me another shell.

Pretty soon, I didn't have anymore shotgun shells and when I had to buy my own, I took all my shots seriously. If I knew that it was a bad shot, I didn't shoot.

So instead of going out and shooting hundreds of shells in a weekend. Only shoot what you intend on shooting.

With this rule of thumb, a box of shells should last you a pretty long time.

Buying components and reloading your own will not produce a cheaper round.

By the time you clean the brass and clean out the primer pockets and buy all the components - you could have bought 2 boxes of factory loads to your one box of reloads.

Since the 223 is a modern firearm, it is already loaded from the factory to maximum specifications and there is not much improvement that you can make with a hand load over a factory load in that configuration.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

Just my opinion

But with the rising price of bullets and power and primers there is no way that a person starting out could justify reloading their own ammo.

My advice would be the rule of thumb that my dad taught me when I was a boy.

Dad gave me three 20 gauge shotgun shells to go hunting rabbits.
Everytime I came home with a rabbit, he gave me another shell.

Pretty soon, I didn't have anymore shotgun shells and when I had to buy my own, I took all my shots seriously. If I knew that it was a bad shot, I didn't shoot.

So instead of going out and shooting hundreds of shells in a weekend. Only shoot what you intend on shooting.

With this rule of thumb, a box of shells should last you a pretty long time.

Buying components and reloading your own will not produce a cheaper round.

By the time you clean the brass and clean out the primer pockets and buy all the components - you could have bought 2 boxes of factory loads to your one box of reloads.

Since the 223 is a modern firearm, it is already loaded from the factory to maximum specifications and there is not much improvement that you can make with a hand load over a factory load in that configuration.
You make a lot of very good points, but with all that said, how good of a shot can you be without being able to practice? Especially when it comes to shooting at a live animal. With the price of the components going up, sure, we pay for it at the counter piece by piece. But when we buy a box of shells we pay for each of those pieces still, excepts with a much higher markup. Idunno man, I have broke it down roughly and I can still reload for about half of what it costs me to buy a box of shells for. And when I cast my own bullets it gets even cheaper. Sure, there is a lot of work involved but some of us enjoy that part of it. Also, when you look at shooting as a recreation, something that I do with my kids it still comes out to be a pretty cheap hobby if you keep things within reason.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 PM

When I first started reloading...for a 30/06 with Lyman 310 tool...I loaded cast bullets at about the same cost as shooting WW 22 Long Rifle. Prices have gone up enormously since then but the fact remains, reloading is certainly cheaper. People who tell others it isn't have never reloaded and don't know what they are talking about. I doubt there is a real reloader on this website that will tell you otherwise.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

You dont reload firearms, you reload cartridges. Every gun is different, and each will have its own preference on what ammo you run through it. I havent talked to anyone that hasnt been able to obtain more accuracy by reloading they're own ammo. If this were true, you need to call the US military and find out why snipers ammo is all reloaded for each weapon.

Quick Reply: new to reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.