Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Nickel Plated Brass >

Nickel Plated Brass

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nickel Plated Brass

Old 01-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Nickel Plated Brass

Has anyone used nickel plated brass?
Is it any different or better?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Nickel Plated Brass

I use it on some guns. Just because it was given to me or I picked it up at the range, etc. But mostly, I won't buy it new. Its rough on your dies and on your trimmer blades. It looks good, and easy to clean and feeds good.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only nickle plated brass I use is in .45 Colt, and only because it looks good with my stainless Ruger Vaquero.......Yep, it is hard on dies.....
Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 PM

I've used it both in pistol brass and as Federal Match rifle brass. If anything I think it's easier to size simply because it's naturally "slicker." The best thing about nickle brass is it's easier to see if you drop it in the grass or on the range. And every devout reloader gets ill if he loses any cases.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that after several reloadings, the nickle plate starts to flake off and then it looks kinda scraggly. But by then the brass is nearing the end anyway.

Bottom line is I don't have a problem with it. It's served me well.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

i dont know if there is any truth to this, i have heard that nickle brass is not as consistant as regular brass, something to do with the plating. if you are an everyday shooter like most of us, no big deal. but if you are a match shooter i guess that it is the difference between a win and a loss. hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:40 PM

All of the above comments are true...
Any time I resize the nickel cases,I use imperial sizing waxon all the cases..
In fact I have pretty much stopped using anything but the wax
on all the casesI load,even the straight walled 45-90;s
Old 02-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use it in my 45-70's. The nickel brass is how I separate my Black Powder from my Smokeless loads. The nickel brass makes it real easy. I have not noticed any real difference between Nickel and regular brass. But in my 45-70's I do very little sizing. Tom.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:32 AM

Jboy...Federal makes (or did) nickel plated match brass. I used to use it in one of my .308s.The reason we don't see more of it is because it's more expensive for the factory to make. It cleans up MUCH easier and faster than just brass.I loaded it several times and never had any flaking. The only time I've ever had nickel plated brass flake was in .357 Magnum brass...and usually when it starts flaking, it's ready to be tossed anyway. I think with good reloading dies and good case lubrication before reloading there aren't any more problems with nickel cases than anything. The hardened steel of reloading dies is WAY harder than nickel. I'm not worried about hurting my dies.