Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Outside neck turning?? >

Outside neck turning??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Outside neck turning??

Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Outside neck turning??

Hey all,
Long time since my last post....

I am trying to improve my groups out past 500 up to 800 yards for target shooting. Have any of you done this and how has it affected your groups? Do you reccomend it or not, and why or why not?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:45 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Outside neck turning??

I have done alot of it for 300RUM and 338 and 7mmSTW. Seems the bigger cases, its hard to get consistent neck thickness from cheaper remington brass. Neck thickness varied from .012" to .018". Thats alot but the extreme case. But never take the necks down below .014" in my opinion.

Beware, you might need to use collet dies or redding bush dies after this to get enough neck tension cause necks may be too thin.

Also, it works the necks some, and I suggest annealing the necks after so does hornady, but of course they sell a annealing kit but I agree with em.

Another case is if you have a tight necked rifle built and have to do it.

I have the sinclair Intl. kit and you will also need neck thickness guage to see what your doing. Most people I teach how to do it if they come to my house change thier mind after seeing the time spent.

The kits and time annealing, and etc. cost a pretty penny. I suggest everyone finds some decent brass and cull for neck thickness instead of turning.

Thats pretty well the route I am taking in the future.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

BC,

Sounds like a lot of work. I am working with a buddy on this since we shoot the same gun.We are not going to those lengths.I think the neck turner is a K and W. Not 100% sure though. It is blue. I am sure there are a lot of them out there.

What we are doing is turning about 180 degrees around the entire neck so we are taking off the high points. To clarify we are rotating the brass 360 degrees in the turner but we are only cutting approximately 180-200 degrees of the neck. Make sense?

What have you seen this do to your accuracy and consistency in velocity?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

RR

Shooting a factory out of the box Weatherby 30-378, 180 gr accubonds.

I have been shooting the; 200 gr TSX and groups have been 1"3/4 at 300 yards. I am looking to tighten them up out to 500-800 yards.We are using RL25 and found it is very temperature sensative and we are starting to see some case swelling after 4-5 reloads. I want to do some long range target shooting with it to improve my skills. Hopefully that answers your questions RR. If you have any more feel free to ask.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

also,

do we need to fireform the brass or can we turn the necks on new brass?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

RR,

We are now working with Retumbo. I heard the same thing on that powder. Our weatherby's are pillar bedded. I would like to stay with a hunting bullet like the accubonds throughout the process incase I HAVE TO take a long shot to finish an animal I want to know what the bullet is doing.

Back to the subject.....will neck turning (the way I described above) help with accuracy out to 500-800 yards?
To clarify...we are using K and M Services neck turner.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: haugenna

RR,

We are now working with Retumbo. I heard the same thing on that powder. Our weatherby's are pillar bedded. I would like to stay with a hunting bullet like the accubonds throughout the process incase I HAVE TO take a long shot to finish an animal I want to know what the bullet is doing.

Back to the subject.....will neck turning (the way I described above) help with accuracy out to 500-800 yards?
To clarify...we are using K and M Services neck turner.
The Wildcat VLD's are great hunting bullets, so are the Berger VLD's. They might at least be worth a shot. I am starting to work up some Bergers for my 7mm rem mag, lets hope they shoot good.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:05 PM

A friend resized some 223's to 222's. He had to trim both the outside and the inside of the necks because the brass was too thick and was producing chamber pressures that were too high. Once he trimmed them. The chamber pressures dropped to acceptable levels.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have loaded for three different Weatherby rifle's over the years. I found all three chamber's to be "generously" cut. I have always found the heavy bullet for caliber will shoot better, IMO this is due to the free-bore. IMO the larger bullet has less jump. As stated earlier about runout. IMO runout is very important in Wbys. I do not think that neck turning can help a Wby. rifle. I would spend my time on runout, and possibly even trying a 220 grain bullet, for even less jump. I shot my 7mm Wby. with a 175 grain Sierra touching the lands. I had to shoot it single shot only(shells were too long for magazine). But I do not mind shooting a rifle as a single shot.

So in summary, shoot your rifle as a single shot. Seat farther out. And spend your time on runout-not neck turning. Tom.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I have loaded for three different Weatherby rifle's over the years. I found all three chamber's to be "generously" cut. I have always found the heavy bullet for caliber will shoot better, IMO this is due to the free-bore. IMO the larger bullet has less jump. As stated earlier about runout. IMO runout is very important in Wbys. I do not think that neck turning can help a Wby. rifle. I would spend my time on runout, and possibly even trying a 220 grain bullet, for even less jump. I shot my 7mm Wby. with a 175 grain Sierra touching the lands. I had to shoot it single shot only(shells were too long for magazine). But I do not mind shooting a rifle as a single shot.

So in summary, shoot your rifle as a single shot. Seat farther out. And spend your time on runout-not neck turning. Tom.
So let me get this right. You are able to load a weatherby upwards of .5" freebore, to touch its rifling?