Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Forming new brass question. UPDATE!!!page3 >

Forming new brass question. UPDATE!!!page3

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Forming new brass question. UPDATE!!!page3

Old 11-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Forming new brass question. UPDATE!!!page3

I’m going to try using new brass in my 25-06. How do you go about it for your rifles? I’m using a lee collet die set; neck sizing only and I want to fire form to my chamber. I have heard to fire form with the bullet 20thousanths, touching, and 10-20thousanths jam into the lands. I know I’ll need a reduced (starting or milder) charge if touching or into the lands. Opinions and experiences please? Also do you turn the out side of the necks and if so what equipment do you use? I have started thinking about turning mine.

mello
Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Forming new brass question.

Mello.......Unless I'm missing something here, which is possible, I've never had any problems switching from worn brass to new brass. I run the new brass thru the resizer die, check trim length, load as normal and fire away.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Ridge,
My fingers can't type. I ment 25-06. Sorry for the typo.

mello
Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess everybody has overlooked the obvious-1st time sizing-full length resize new brass!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:30 PM
bigcountry

I used to neck turn, but won't anymore. I use a sinclair Intl neck turning kit. If you do neck turn, you really should anneal after, and you also need a neck thicknessgauge. I only take the neck down to .014" neck thickness min. Any more than that, you might not be able to hold a bullet.

Also recommend getting a FL sizer for your purpose of new brass.

I have tried all kinds of techniques for fire forming but its a pain in the butt. From cotton stuff in with bullseye powder to filling the case with all kinds of other stuff. I won't do it anymore. I will just shoot.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

bigcountry,

If I do turn it will only be from the outside to even it up a little (read as scuff off the high spots if any). It probably is not needed in my case though. I guess I need to pick up a FL die. I'm going to be using win brass and I have readall kinds of weird combos like what you stated. Any experience with seating depths for fire forming. I only want to neck size after and will toss after five reloads or so for safety.

mello
Old 11-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to have a dime for every different fire forming method I have heard.

Ridge Runner and PA Wildman have it right(IMO). I am not sure about the recommendations about having to FL size new brass. I have shot a lot of new brass by just bumping down the neck(and making it concentric) with the expander ball out of the die. Then running a Sinclair sizing mandrel to open up the neck. I recommend this system, but I will admit thatthis iswhat I do to all my rifles, and I do not load my rifles hot, so headspace is never a problem for me.

Unless you are running a tight chamber the outside turning is not a necessity. You will get the most brass flow with your first firing. If you feel the need to turn, then I would turn it after your first firing, but I would want to know my chamber dimensions first. Tom.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

for fire forming new brass heres what I do its the easiest no brainer way for example Im gonna explain this with the use of 308 win just for examples sake

1. I full length size the brass, I feel you should always resize even new brass.

2. Trim brass to just under Maximum length, if the brass measures less then skip this step.

3. Then load as normally using a start charge of a selected load depending on your desired powder, primer and bullet. I use whatever extra powder or primers I have around and bullets Im not gonna use anymore or just a cheap package of winchester power points.

4. have a fun day of plinking, now you will have your fire formed brass ready for neck sizing.

IMO dont even bother with any other fire froming method they are just asmuch work if not more than throwing together some plinker loads. besides shooting blanks aint asmuch fun as sending some lead down range. you may even shoot at paper you never know you may just have an accurate plinker/fire forming load.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

if your die is adjusted right and headspace is minimal, even the first firing should be plenty accurate for hunting. I don't understand why you would waste components and barrel life just fireforming 25-06 cases in a 25/06. if the headspace is correct, even if the brass doesn't fit the chamber perfectly, it will befor the bullet leaves the leade.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

if your die is adjusted right and headspace is minimal, even the first firing should be plenty accurate for hunting. I don't understand why you would waste components and barrel life just fireforming 25-06 cases in a 25/06. if the headspace is correct, even if the brass doesn't fit the chamber perfectly, it will befor the bullet leaves the leade.
I agree with all of the above plus the fact that FL resized brass is going to chamber easily every time where there are potential problems with neck sized brass. FL size them for hunting.

Quick Reply: Forming new brass question. UPDATE!!!page3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.