Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Getting started... >

Getting started...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Getting started...

Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Getting started...

Hey All,
I am wanting to get started into reloading, and have read through several posts on here about doing so. I would go out and get everything right now and start tomorrow.I already have picked up a reloading manual.The better half isn't so thrilled about the cost of getting started, so I have convinced herto let mebuya few items here and there until I get to the larger/pricier items a little down the raod. So here is where I need help. I have been planning on getting into reloading for a while now and have been saving my cases. I will be reloading primarily for my 30.06 and .270. If you guys were in my shoes and wanted to stay within a $30-$50 a pop budget where would you get started? I prefer to buy best bang for the buck items, but will pay top dollar if it's value is apparent. Thanks in adavnce for your advice.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting started...

ryigner, I am on the same boat as you. tight budget. I am looking at the Lee aniversary reloading kit. it is $70 + shipping from natchez it has everything you need to get started. right know I am just figuring out funds for it myself.

side note: so far my dad wants to get dies for his 30 -30, I am doing my 30 - 06, and trying to get my bother - in - law in on his brit 303, hoping to break down the cost for the press.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: rynigner

Hey All,
I am wanting to get started into reloading, and have read through several posts on here about doing so. I would go out and get everything right now and start tomorrow.I already have picked up a reloading manual.The better half isn't so thrilled about the cost of getting started, so I have convinced herto let mebuya few items here and there until I get to the larger/pricier items a little down the raod. So here is where I need help. I have been planning on getting into reloading for a while now and have been saving my cases. I will be reloading primarily for my 30.06 and .270. If you guys were in my shoes and wanted to stay within a $30-$50 a pop budget where would you get started? I prefer to buy best bang for the buck items, but will pay top dollar if it's value is apparent. Thanks in adavnce for your advice.
New to reloading? READ THIS FIRST!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

[/quote]

New to reloading? READ THIS FIRST!

[/quote]

Thanks, but have already read through it, several times... I was hoping for something more specific and some guidance and what I can get to get me started and familiar with the early stages of reloading since I already have some brass saved up.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:59 AM

rynigner
Every one will have a good choice of what they have used or use . There is a thread about this subject a little back and for the least amount of money spent to get what you need , the Lee equipment will do just fine . You will find that as you get the hang of it , you may may want more precise equipment .The lee equipment will make fine ammo , after you have seen the benefits of reloading and still want to reload ( it is time consuming to make good ammo , some loose interest ), start saving up for better equipment if you want .
Any good starter kit will give you the basics for reloading . There are a bunch of extras you will need to help you make better ammo and that will bring the cost up , depending what comes with the kit . A bench type press will make things a lot easier than a hand held.
I have used a Lee hand primer for over twenty years and it still works fine , your press should come with some sort of priming mechanism, but you will need dies for what ever caliber you are reloading , some kits can comespecifically set up for a given caliber .Good luck and read up on reloading before you even start ,don't forget to ask questions here before you jump into some thing you have questions about or not sure of .
Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to check out the RCBS Reloading Starter Kit. It comes with just about all you need to start loading except your dies and shellholders. You should be able to pick this up for less than $250. RCBS is of pretty good quality, and even if you later decide you don't like handloading, you should have no trouble selling it.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

So I must have been good this year and santa came early. He dropped off a used RCBS (I believe an old rock crusher) reloading setup. Included with it is a lyman case trimmer. Some stuff needed tossed (mainly lube pads and brushes)but for the most part with a little cleaning it all is in great shape. I was given the press, several die sets, balance scale, tumbler, funnels, and more.... Based on the "New to reloading...read this first" post all I need to get now is a #3 Shell holder, 30.06 die set, deburring tool, new case lube kit, ans some calipers. I'm a pretty happy guy!

Some of you have mentioned that you shop through midwayusa. I checked out there site and did some research on them and I am liking them better than Cabelas. Site isn't as easy to navigate but the prices and shipping is better. I also noticed that they do alot of promotional offers, has anyone recieveda promotional coderecently that may be beneficial to some of us starting out? I am not yet on their mailing list, but code or not I will be buying from them and will be soon. It would just be nice to save a few bucks in the process...

Thanks, for all your help thus far!