Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Resizing ?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Resizing ?

I just resized some 22-250 Rem brass and I always use Hornady One-Shot spray lube. I noticed on about 8 of the 50 cases there are what I believe they calloil dents on the shoulders. Is this possible with one-shot? I thought it wasn't possible while using it? I have never experinced this before and I have been using it for years.Any ideas what may have went wrong? Thanks for any help fellas.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Resizing ?

It is probably not from the one shot, but rather built of lube from what you have used in the past. I know that I had that problem with my sizing dies from old lube. Take a q-tip and clean it out and it should solve your problem of dented cases.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Go to your local car parts store and pick up some brake cleaner in the arisol can, put the plastic tube on and stick it up into your resizeing die and spray out the build up of crud, " wear eye protection, burns when you get the spray in your eyes" after it sits a few minutes the spray evaporates leaving it sparkling clean. By the way! you might try RCBS pump spray lube next time, to me it seems to work better without the waste of the overspray and the tip clogging and causing it to spit!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 AM

Take the spindle out of your die and clean the die body with a nylon bottle brush or bore brush using either the previously mentioned brake cleaner or the Gun Scrubber that you already have. Just like cleaning a chamber. Also allows you to clean up the expander ball.

Add Dillon Precision Lube to the list of products that are more friendly than One Shot.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: devil dog

" wear eye protection, burns when you get the spray in your eyes"

you ain't kiddin !
Old 10-19-2007, 03:21 PM

Vent hole?

Plugged mebbe...??
Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 AM

I have had the same thing happen with one shot, when I used too much. I switched to RCBS case slick, and have not had a problem since. Could be the lube, could be me being more careful. FWIW
Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Is this possible with one-shot?"

Yes, it is possible.Donethe same thing myself. It is still much better than a messy lube pad.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:27 PM

I guess I'm old fashioned , but I still use the pad and If you keep the lube away fromthe shoulder,not past it or spray on it , it won't build up to cause dents. ( roll cases so the shoulders are off the edge of the pad )Of course keep your dies and pad clean and yes, as mentioned , the vent can get clogged up if you use too much lube or fail to clean diesatregular intervals .
Old 10-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's called hydraulic denting, it can happen with any lube if too much is used and the dies are not cleaned.

Quick Reply: Resizing ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.