Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Found my problem >

Found my problem

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Found my problem

Old 10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Found my problem

Went to the range today to get the 06 ready for this weekend and play with my ar. The 06 took six rds and I was happy happy shooting 180 horn sp. Grabed the ar and started shooting new loads and it's jamming and not cycling rds again. So I go to a new set with diferent powder and it's doing the same thing. Never had problems with this load before. For kicks and giggles I grabed my 30rd mag and the differance was night and day .The 5rd mags aresticking or somthing. Haven't had time to really figure that out yet.The accursey I'm getting with that 50 gr nos bt & IMR 4198 is great. Now that I know it's not the powder life is good.

P.S. wiley coyote is in trouble
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Found my problem

Blacklab, any time a simi auto malfunctions the magazine should be the first thing checked, asuming the gun isn't plain filthy to begin with!
Their have been more 1911's cursed and hated because of crappy mags than any other single problem, and this is sad because it's so easy to fix.
Another thing I would watch for is the sizing die, as I always use a RCBS small base resizing die whenever reloading for a simi auto rifle.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

BlackLab, if the rounds are low feeding and jamming just below the chamber, lay the mag flat on a padded surface and beat the sides from the center out with a nylon or rubber hammer. Ive had problems with the cheaper 5 rounders in the past and all were fixed with this method. The best 5 round mags I have picked up have been from DPMS.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanxs guys for the info. These are brand new mags maybe 100rds threw them. Thats why I didn't even think about them being the problem .Since they shot factory loads with ease. After this opening weekend i'll tinker with them and see what happens. Thanks again