Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 RL-22 in 270 Win problem >

RL-22 in 270 Win problem

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

RL-22 in 270 Win problem

Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RL-22 in 270 Win problem

I downloaded the recipe from Alliant for a load for my wife's 270 Win.

60g of RL-22 w/ a 140g bullet.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.aspx?title=Centerfire%20Load&gtyp eid=2&weight=140&shellid=1061&bulletid =212

I am using Fed. case, Fed. primer, and 140g Accubond instead of their exact recipe but that shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.

My concern is the powder fills the case about 95% and seating the bullet is compressing the load a little bit. That and the fact that the magazine on my wife's Abolt limits the OAL to around 3.390" and the lands are sitting out around 3.415".

I loaded up 30 shells last night but wanted to find out from you guys if you think I'll have any problems shooting these in her gun? I need to sight in this weekend for deer season starts next weekend. I'm not too worried about accuracy since she never shoots past around 100 yards, maybe 200 max.

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Default RE: RL-22 in 270 Win problem

Compressed loads are fine as long as it is within the max charge rating. I was using the same load in my .270 until a couple of weeks ago, I switched to 45gr of 3031. I have had this particular .
270 for a couple of years, and have never hunted with it, because I didn't like the way it shot. When I finally got around to chronographing the load, I found out it was going about 3200fps, a bit too fast. The 3031 makes it settle down to about 2900fps and it shoots great. Just my two cents.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Kirby. Her little 270 is a tack driver, makes me mad how well it shoots really. 4x scope, shooting factory loads or my handloads, and all are 1" or less at 100. Just weird.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Power

Thanks Kirby. Her little 270 is a tack driver, makes me mad how well it shoots really. 4x scope, shooting factory loads or my handloads, and all are 1" or less at 100. Just weird.

Power thats a keeper! I'd kill my grandmother for a 1 inch group @100yrds . gl next week
Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the Nosler 140 BT with 44 grain of RL-15.....shoot them real well out of my Howa 1500.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:33 AM

I am using Fed. case, Fed. primer, and 140g Accubond instead of their exact recipe but that shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.

My concern is the powder fills the case about 95% and seating the bullet is compressing the load a little bit. That and the fact that the magazine on my wife's Abolt limits the OAL to around 3.390" and the lands are sitting out around 3.415".
Keep the cases, primer and bullet....

Rework the load with RL19 and never look back...........
Old 10-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I went and shot them today, shoot ok, but seem like they might be a tad hot. I think I'll drop them a grain or two and see how they do. Since I use RL22 in my 7mm I was looking to consolidate to 1 powder if I could. If they won't shoot I'll do like you said and go back to RL 19 or IMR 4831.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Wouldn't keep a bolt action rifle that doesn't shoot MOA off the bench.I used 58gr of RE22 MAX with Win cases,Fed Mag primers and 140gr Hornady bullets.All holes touching out of a Win70 FWT stainless Classic................Harold
Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Nice pic too RR. That 6.5 looks sweet.

I think for her I'll just drop it down 2 grains and call it good. She never shoots very far anyway so don't need the extra velocity or energy anyway.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I downloaded the recipe from Alliant for a load for my wife's 270 Win.

60g of RL-22 w/ a 140g bullet.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.aspx?title=Centerfire%20Load&gtyp eid=2&weight=140&shellid=1061&bulletid =212

I loaded up 30 shells last night but wanted to find out from you guys if you think I'll have any problems shooting these in her gun? I need to sight in this weekend for deer season starts next weekend. I'm not too worried about accuracy since she never shoots past around 100 yards, maybe 200 max.

Thanks for any input.
There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with using compressed loads, as long as the compressing when seating the bullet doesn't bulge the shoulders of the cases to where you can't chamber them. This can happen-usually, the bigger the bullet in relation to the case diameter, the easier it is to bulge a shoulder. I wouldn't think your load will do this.

RE 22 is in the correct burning zone for use in the .270, as it is close to H4831, one of the best performers in the .270Win.and 7mm Rem. Mag., especially with bullets in the weight category of the ones you are using.

Changing any component for any reason from a given load recommendation can certainly have an effect on the way a load performs. However, since the very act of shooting a cartridge in a different rifle from the one in which the load was developed can have a big effect on what happens as well as the use of different components can, IT IS ALWAYS ESSENTIAL to work up a load for a given rifle in incremental increases in powder, starting from a known safe starting load. 60 grains of RL 22 with a 140-grain bullet in the .270 Win. sounds to me like a pretty stiff load, as you seem to have discovered!!

For example, my best .270 loads consisted of 53.5 grains of IMR 4350 with a 150-grain Nosler Partition and 55.5 grains of same with a 130-grain Nosler Partition. Since RL 22 is slower, you can use more of it. But with a 140-grain bullet, I would consider 57 grains RL22 to be a safe starting point, and I would work up from there, and NOT just load 60 grains to begin with and hope it is safe!

This is even more the case, if you are using some different components. For example, Federal cases may betougher or softer than Winchester cases, and have a slightly different powder capacity, etc., etc.

If I were you, I would have loaded up at least three rounds each with 57 grains, 58 grains, and 59 grains of RL 22 and those same bullets, and fire them in ascending order before I fired my first round with 60 grains. (Many years of blowing primers, ruining cases and getting stuck brass, etc., has made me morecautious than I once was!) Examine each fired case at each level of increased powder charge. Look for any signs of too much pressure, such as "difficult bolt lift, impressions from the bolt face on the cartridge head, and any loosening of the primer pockets, BEFORE you shoot the first shot containing 60grains......

You might find that the 60-grain load is the best for accuracy and MV, but perhaps a lower powder charge will produce better accuracy with acceptable MV.....

Good luck!

Quick Reply: RL-22 in 270 Win problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.