Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 dies and the lee handloader >

dies and the lee handloader

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

dies and the lee handloader

Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 PM

Default dies and the lee handloader

i got a quick ?, it seems that everybody kinda likes the little lee hand press, but dont care much for the lee dies.......at least from what i can gather.

how about using the lee hand press and using say like rcbs dies in it? will the rcbs dies work?

seems to me that might be the ticket on the small hand press.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 PM

Default RE: dies and the lee handloader

I believe the lee hand press accepts standard dies, so RCBS, Hornady and other brands should work fine. Thing is, those who don't like lee dies have never used them
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

You bet. It will use any and all standard dies. I use it with all brands but prefer Lee dies to most others because they all load good ammo but Lee does it for about half the price and includes the shell holder. If any one can show me that any other dies load hunting grade ammo better than Lee dies, I would be suprised because I use all brands of dies and I can't see any noticable difference. If I were Bench rest shooting and was going to do all the steps needed for that kind of shooting then I might look into benchrest grade dies.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rem 700

I believe the lee hand press accepts standard dies, so RCBS, Hornady and other brands should work fine. Thing is, those who don't like lee dies have never used them
lee works for me
Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: rem 700

Nope, about all of us started on Lee. Why? Its cheap. but you get what you pay for. Only a few things lee makes is decent. Collet dies are good but litterly will wear out the mandrel after about 1000 loads. Factory crimp die is good for pistol. About it. After that, most of us learn a lesson and buy quality. Well except james.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

You bet. It will use any and all standard dies. I use it with all brands but prefer Lee dies to most others because they all load good ammo but Lee does it for about half the price and includes the shell holder. If any one can show me that any other dies load hunting grade ammo better than Lee dies, I would be suprised because I use all brands of dies and I can't see any noticable difference. If I were Bench rest shooting and was going to do all the steps needed for that kind of shooting then I might look into benchrest grade dies.
Thats pretty much my thoughts as well. If I can shoot a consistant 3 inch group at 100 yards with a given load I am happy. Maybe when I am a bit more well off financially I will step up to a more spendy die set, but until then Lee works for me.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 PM

great sounds like im making a good choice, but do i need the factory crimp die for a .270 winchester? as in the pacesetter three die set from lee or will the two die set be just as good.

also i was kinda concerned about the switching dies out on the hand press with the lee dies, the other brands have a set screw in the nut too , i would guess. keep it adjusted the same each time you take them out., just kinda concerend with getting it adjusted at the same place with the lees each time i change out.

cant wait to try out the h4831 and some sierra gameking 130's in it.....
Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Lee dies have a rubber washer built into the locknut that keeps it pretty close to set when you take the die out and put it back in. I just put a mark in the nut, the die and the press with a sharpie to line everything back up again.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

bkd. get the factory crimp die. It may be a extra step but worth it.GL and have fun.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BlackLab

bkd. get the factory crimp die. It may be a extra step but worth it.GL and have fun.
Yep, it does help to crimp that rough edge of the case neck down, and if you have crimp grooves on your bullets it works even better.

Quick Reply: dies and the lee handloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.