Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

30-06 primers

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 30-06 primers

Yea, I'd like to know the particulars as well.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 AM

Some find a marginal improvement in ignition quality with mags in a standard hull.

Seen via close scrutiny with chronograph results.

'Tis no big deal to back off and work a load up with mags......though it's no place for the amatuer to venture.

'Tis no big deal either,to juststick with regular primers.

In the big picture, primers don't make that big of a difference, but do serve as a fine point of argument.................................
Old 10-09-2007, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

I think I'll stick with the tried and true recipes. That's just me.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 10-09-2007, 06:13 AM

No shame in that.........................
Old 10-09-2007, 06:22 AM

I dunno the experience level on this board so I'll just post this for posterity....

A mag primer is "hotter" but not scary hotter just because it says "mag" on the box.

A "magnum" chambering generally requires a slower burning powder due to the capacity of the case which translates into a powder that is a bit harder to ignite.

The hotter "mag" primer gives a bit more boost to the slower powdersto get things going.

Using a mag primer in a standard cartridge isn't going to mean an instantcatastrophic failure of the rifle. It does however dictate a lesser powder charge than would be used with a standard primer.

Working up as normally done would yeild a workableload as long as you understood a published regular primernormal "max" load would be most likely a tad over pressure with the mag primers.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 AM

I use mostly WW primers ( probably because I buy them by the 5K ), I have used just about every primer on the shelf and have yet to need a mag. primer , but as was wellput in theabove post,they do have there uses.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Hello '06. I have never come across any load in any manual that recommends a Mag primer in a 30'06. What do you mean by better consistancy? Tighter groups? Have you run into any pressure problems? Unless I lived in a very cold climate, I have some reservations using magnum primers where they are uncalled for. Please explain your rationale. Regards, Rick.
My loads are a direct result of using Ken Water's book Pet Loads as a primary reference. Now, I also compare his information with several reloading manuals. When I say more consistant, the velocities tighten up and accuracy improves. I have no pressure issues, because I use factory load pressures as my benchmark. Also, I burn my 30/06 loads year round. Basically, I shoot my rifle enough that it is an extension of my body.

One thing to remember is that there are a ton of older 30/06 rifles out there. They are weaker than modern rifles. Lets face it, the science of making steel better has continued to improve. Hence, your new Remington 700 is much stronger than a 1903A3. Now, reloading manuals take this into consideration. Loads are moderated. So do factory loads. Your everyday Remington ammunition is perfectly safe in any 30/06 that is worthy of being fired. Since I base my maximum pressure on Remington factory loads, I can confidently say they are safe in any weather.

I am probably a bit anal about accuracy. When will I ever be able to tell that one load is a 1/4" better than another from a field position? Thats right....NEVER. However, I like the pursuit of accuracy and will no doubt continue.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:28 PM

Nuthin' wrong with keepin' tools sharp...................
Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Ought_Six

Hello '06. I have never come across any load in any manual that recommends a Mag primer in a 30'06. What do you mean by better consistancy? Tighter groups? Have you run into any pressure problems? Unless I lived in a very cold climate, I have some reservations using magnum primers where they are uncalled for. Please explain your rationale. Regards, Rick.
My loads are a direct result of using Ken Water's book Pet Loads as a primary reference. Now, I also compare his information with several reloading manuals. When I say more consistant, the velocities tighten up and accuracy improves. I have no pressure issues, because I use factory load pressures as my benchmark. Also, I burn my 30/06 loads year round. Basically, I shoot my rifle enough that it is an extension of my body.

One thing to remember is that there are a ton of older 30/06 rifles out there. They are weaker than modern rifles. Lets face it, the science of making steel better has continued to improve. Hence, your new Remington 700 is much stronger than a 1903A3. Now, reloading manuals take this into consideration. Loads are moderated. So do factory loads. Your everyday Remington ammunition is perfectly safe in any 30/06 that is worthy of being fired. Since I base my maximum pressure on Remington factory loads, I can confidently say they are safe in any weather.

I am probably a bit anal about accuracy. When will I ever be able to tell that one load is a 1/4" better than another from a field position? Thats right....NEVER. However, I like the pursuit of accuracy and will no doubt continue.
Hello '06. How do you know you are using "factory load pressures" as a benchmark as there are no factory loads using magnum primers? I go back to my original question....why are you using magnum primers in a '06? I have been loading the '06 since 1961 and have never seen or read any article on using magnum primers.

I guess we will have to disagree.....I see no no reason to use a magnum primer in a 30'06 and unless someone can provide some emperical data and, until then, I will continue to use my tried and proven IMR 4064 loads with a standard primer. I did not know Ken Waters recommended Magnum primers for the '06....I'll check it out.Regards, Rick.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 PM

Noone is trying to convince you to switch....

You called him out, he explained his method.

What's your beef with that?

Mag primers are no big deal...............

Quick Reply: 30-06 primers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.