Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What Long Range Bullet? >

What Long Range Bullet?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What Long Range Bullet?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Long Range Bullet?

I kinda disagree with the claim that if you keep trying different combinations, sooner or later you will get a bullet to shoot well. Believe me, I thought I was going to burn a barrel out years ago trying to get Sierras to shoot in it. As soon as I switched manufacturers, Zap!! Instant success.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

The Ballistic coefficient on the Sierra is basically the same(slightly higher) than the Accubond. The BC is .538 for the Sierra.
That being the case,and the fact that the accubonds can be driven faster,result in the accubond shooting flatter and having less wind drift.

It has been my experience(over 35 years of reloading) that Sierra's on average will outshoot Nosler's. With the exception of the Ballistic tip bullet's. But the Ballistic tip's will not outshoot the Sierra's.
The ballistic tip has been the most consistantly accurate bullet in my rifles,bar none.The accubond in general shoots just as accurate as the ballistic tip.

You will find a good load that will shoot this bullet.
Not necessarily,some rifles will just not shoot certain bullets well.My own 7mm rifles did not shoot 175gr bullets as well as lighter bullets.
So in other words you are saying the Sierra's are no good?? The Sierra has a higher BC than the Accubond(Very slight). So how would an apple to apple 175 grain bullet get pushed faster?? And less wind drift?? Sorry but I do not follow what you are trying to say. Are you saying the Accubond is superior to the Sierra?? I sure do not think so.

Jeep all I am saying is just do not think a bullet is better because it costs more. And do not think thatit will be more accurate because it costs more. I shoot alot, and Sierra's will shoot with any of the more expensive bullet's, and they will kill just as well as any of the expensive bullet's.

There are very few shooter's who are capable ofshooting more accurately at 400 to 500 yards with competition bullet's. And trust me they are not doing it with sporting rifles. Save your money and buy the Sierra's. or go ahead and spend the extra money. Either wayyou go you are going about it the right way. Tom.
The Bergers are about $1 more for a box of 100 then the Sierras, while the Accubonds are about $10 a box more. The TSX's are about twice the price. I have 50 160 XLC's loaded up already, and 50 160 Accubonds so I will try some of those out first.Its looking like the Bergers are going to need to be tested for sure.

I hope my rifle doesn't like the Accubond load, because I loaded them with H870 powder and I can't seem to find a place that sells it any more...

I should have pointed out earlier that I will limit myself to about 350-400 yard shots on deer, elk... Any farther will be target practice and most likely the occasional coyote.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Yes, some rifles I am. Stubble, I can't believe you say you been reloading this long, and don't know that different rifles shoot different ways. Just because you get these results sure doesn't mean another person will.
I am well aware that each rifle has a bullet preference.The question was directed specifically at HEAD who insists that no nosler bullet can ever outshoot a sierra.If you read his previous posts you will better understand the reason for my asking.

Horse Puckey. I have been loading Nosler bullet's for a long time. If you remember Nosler was the first to bring out the Premium Hunting Bullet in the Partition(there were others, but the Nosler was mass marketed). The bullet was a fantastic performer on game, but it was not known for it's accuracy. That was my point(maybe I could have put it better). I specifically said in my original post that the BT was a very accurate bullet-so do not misrepresent what I said.

My main reason for posting was to relay to JEEP that I do not believe the more expensive bullets give any additional performance over the Sierra. This is just my opinion, but if you can get a less expensive bullet to do what you want, then why would you buy the more expensive bullets??

I shoot Berger bullets also. There are times when it is extremely difficult to get Berger's. I would like to have some 40 grainer's right now. I am not attacking your HOLY Nosler bullets, I actually hunt with Nosler BT's in my 30-06 because they shoot better than the Sierra's in that particular rifle. But I did try the less expensive Sierra's first.

I guess I am just an old timer who has seen it all. I do not fall for marketing ploy's, and trendy thing's. I go with performer's. If superiority can be proven, then I am all for it. But IMO the expensive bullet's or "designer bullets" have not shown me any improvement. Tom.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I specifically said in my original post that the BT was a very accurate bullet-so do not misrepresent what I said.
What you said is very plain,and impossible to misrepresent.

But the Ballistic tip's will not outshoot the Sierra's.
I am pointing out that in some rifles,mine included,the ballistic tip will outshoot the sierras.Your statement quoted above,states very plainly that it is not possible.

It has been my experience(over 35 years of reloading) that Sierra's on average will outshoot Nosler's. With the exception of the Ballistic tip bullet's.
So just how many rifles have you tested for accuracy with the accubonds?How about the E tips?How about the solid base?They are all Nosler bullets,so if you haven't tested them all,your statement only applies to the partition and no other Nosler bullets.

I guess I am just an old timer who has seen it all. I do not fall for marketing ploy's, and trendy thing's. I go with performer's. If superiority can be proven, then I am all for it.
Have you tried the solid base,the e-tip,interbond,sst,tsx,ttsx,mrx,failsafe,bearclaw,a-frame or scirocco.If you haven't,you certainly haven't seen it all,or given them a chance to prove thenselves.If you haven't used them,how can you know how they perform in your guns,or on game?By the way,I have been loading for over 30 years myself and I have tried all of the bullets mentioned above except for the ttsx and the e-tip,which aren't available yet in my area.I have also tried many more bullets to see for myself how they perform in my guns and on game.

Having done so,I don't make foolish blanket statements such as"But the Ballistic tip's will not outshoot the Sierra's." because I do realize that each gun is different,and the odds are that such a statement will not always be correct.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually have tried most of the bullet's you suggested(I will admit not all of them). I have also tried many, many other type bullets as well(Hornady, Speer, Woodleigh, Berger, Lapua, Barnes, and others). IMO you are just missing my point.

My point is simple-I have been unable to determine a true difference between the expensive or what I call "Designer Bullets", and the plain old Sierra Game King.

It is easy to take one line out of a comment and twist it around. And when you brag on the balistic tip(which I like), there are 100 other post's out therewhere people dislike that bullet. I happen to disagree with them on the BT being a bad bullet. But why is the BT almost twice as much?? I do not know that answer-other than marketing.

I truly believe that all the "Innovation" is truly a marketing ploy tosell another box of bullets. The old Game King's still drop the animal every time, and I can buy a lot more of them so I get to shoot alot more. Tom.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is easy to take one line out of a comment and twist it around.
When a statement is made so plainly,it can't possibly be misunderstood.

My point is simple-I have been unable to determine a true difference between the expensive or what I call "Designer Bullets", and the plain old Sierra Game King.
I never stated that more expensive was always better.I have seen some rifles shoot extremely well with power points or core lokts.

And when you brag on the balistic tip(which I like), there are 100 other post's out therewhere people dislike that bullet.
I use the ballistic tip as an example only because it shoots the most accurately in my rifles.However the tsx and mrx are almost as accurate in my guns and penetrate and retain weight better than even the partition,and much better than a gameking or ballistic tip when encountering heavy bones.

I truly believe that all the "Innovation" is truly a marketing ploy tosell another box of bullets. The old Game King's still drop the animal every time,
In most shot situations that is the case,but with certain shot angles or for use on dangerous game,I will choose bullets like the tsx or mrx,because they penetrate and hold together much better,and when the trophy of a lifetime presents itself,or my life is on the line,I will gladly spend a little more cash to have a better bullet.And when you add up the costs of a hunt,a few dollars more on bullets is not significant in most cases.
Lastly ,when the people that are out to eliminate all lead from bullets get their way,you will have no choice but to stop hunting with lead bullets.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems now we are on the same page. I concur with every stastement you just made. And I will admit I was attacking the Nosler's a bit. Most of my experience with the Nosler's was with their older flat base, and their partitions. I should not have spoken badly about their new bullet's, because you are right. With the exception of the Ballistic tip's I have not tried them.

JEEP please accept my apology for hijacking your post. Tom.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM

jeepkid,

Let me preface my statements by saying that I do not intend to insult you.

Accuracy at 500 yards is more about the weapon than anything else. A standard hunting rig is not capable of the shot to shot accuracy required to shoot at 500 yards. Once you have a weapon that is capable of the kind of accuracy needed then load development begins to refine the accuracy even farther.

If you don't have a rifle that is capable of consistant 1/2" groups at 100 yards with almost any ammo then you don't have a 500 yard rifle.

So now If I assume that the rifle portion of the equation is handled, I would suggest either Seirra Match Kings or Berger's. If you look into the long range BR eguip. lists you will see that these two bullets dominate. I would start there. I heard that the berger's are exceptional on game, which blows me away. I even seen a test where they penetrated as deeply as TSX bullets.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

It seems now we are on the same page. I concur with every stastement you just made. And I will admit I was attacking the Nosler's a bit. Most of my experience with the Nosler's was with their older flat base, and their partitions. I should not have spoken badly about their new bullet's, because you are right. With the exception of the Ballistic tip's I have not tried them.

JEEP please accept my apology for hijacking your post. Tom.
No blood, no foul, no worries.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I need to find a place that will sell me about 10 of each so I can see which one shoots better out of my rifle...
Ten rounds isn't likely going to be enough to work up a load and then test it out to 500yards to confirm the accuracy.
If buying a whole box is too much of an expense for you,how much do you intend to spend every year practising so you are capable of good 500 yard accuracy with the rifle?
Its not the expense, but within ten rounds at 100 yards I should at least be able to tell if my rifle will like them or not. Then I will buy a bunch of themand fine tune the load and calculate bullet drop. Maybe I will need twenty, but I shouldn't need a whole box of fifty or 100.

After reading on the net, I am leaning towards the Bergers...
have you even shot at 500 yards an actually hit something? ya realize wind drift is a real @#%$& at that range dont ya? even for a 7 mag screw what the ballistic calculators show they are based on mathematical equations not real life.. yea maybe you can put in wind speed but hay on the range the wind might be 10 mph from the west at 200 but then 30 mph from the east at 400 yards.

Quick Reply: What Long Range Bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.